How good will this be for firefox?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by PunchsucKr, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

Going into the workings of IE8 Protected Mode, i find it really good for an internet browsing app to have that protection feature.
    But as we all know ff doesn't... even though its very secure otherwise, but flaws do exist... if not in ff then take adobe's flash.. :rolleyes:

I came across this link, translated to English, link found here in the comments...
    just want your views on this as well as spread this information.. also clear up a few doubts.

The part i did not get is this one

What do the above settings do, will these have possible security implications on the system in general?

Ff was running fine with these steps carried out but the only downside is if any legitimate downloaded file is opened through firefox (eg, by double clicking on the downloads window), the invoked instance of the app is also of low integrity level. Leading to some minor inconveniences... though not a major issue..

2. PunchsucKr

No worries i found applocker to be a better solution. Cheers!

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I've been running Firefox as a low integrity app for a few weeks. Here are the issues I've found thus far:
    a) You're prompted every time you start Firefox. This turns out to be useful though, because of issue b.
    b) When you update Firefox to a new version, you need to run the appropriate command to make the Firefox executable low integrity again.
    c) Some Java browser apps that require the use of local resources don't work, unless you also make those locations low integrity.
    d) I believe that sites that require use of Adobe Flash cookies will not work, unless the relevant locations are made low integrity. I haven't run into this yet though.
    e) As you mentioned, files downloaded are low-integrity. To overcome this, copy downloaded files to another folder - the copied files are not low integrity.

Using Firefox as a low integrity app is not redundant if you're using AppLocker, because AppLocker doesn't protect against some actions performed by Firefox itself, such as execution of malicious JavaScript.

4. PunchsucKr

Thanks for the feedback MrBrian..

as far as the prompts go, they can be disabled by the commands that i posted i was unsure about..
    i think i'l just use sandboxie for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.