How good is ESS 5?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by darts, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darts

darts Registered Member

I red a few reviuws but i am a bit confused because i don't know at this moment how good ESS5 is , because i read in a few revieuws that the Malware detection not too good is and that the programm is too simple. But i don't know how good it is at this moment can someone help me please because for this moment i am testin F-Secure internet security 2012 but i always have liked Eset.

Greats,

Darts?

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The program is definitely not too simple and detection is on par with the other major vendors. The place where you will have issues (if you do) is in configuration and/or stability. You would need to download the trial and see if it likes your machine. If you have no issues with it then you decide if you like it enough to keep it. If you do have issues with it you get to decide if you want to seek further assistance here. They do make a good effort of supporting it.

3. darts

darts Registered Member

But how do i know how good the detection rate is of the 5 version vs others?

4. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

I guess the only way really knowing would be to try it, all the hype from review sites don't convince me either way, most don't represent a true account of the product that you are interested in, and IMO there is no single anti malware app that is going to detect every virus

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

been a nod32 user since back with the very first releases.... they have always been in the top class of detection. as with any av they have ups and downs some months could be slightly better or worse than others. it is this way with ANY av. and as far as malware goes ALL av's imo have their weakest point here especially when it comes to things like rouges and fake av's etc they will all let something through here and there. my 2 fav av's are eset and avast. but eset has always been in the top bracket of all av's out there over the years.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That's pretty much it. Detection has never been my complaint with this product. Try it out and see if you like it. Detection rates of all of the top vendors is similar. It is better to make you decision on usability and reliability. And you only get to find those out by testing on your own machine.

7. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

My experience has been great and safe with ESET. I have been using since before the security suite and have had NO infections of any type. I believe in this product and the fact it is so light on my system and tight with its components, it has proven itself to be my choice for years.
    KOR-

8. IvanFraser

IvanFraser Registered Member

I have found ESS 5 to be as stable as 4. I have used NOD32 since v2 and never had any infection. I'm a regular PC user since the mid 90s, with the net always on, regularly surfing, and in the past have downloaded masses of data and programmes from various sites, including 'dubious' ones.

I tried all the major and free AVs, always mixing and matching AVs with anti-spyware and trojan blockers and firewalls, anti-spam etc. These layers of protection were usually far more system intensive than Eset. Ended up with ESS at v.3 and stuck with it. Have been running occasional Spybot scans for a couple of years, and again have never found a single threat on my PC.

I continue to think it's one of the best, if not the best (the only downside being that the antispam in ESS is basic and could be better - but isn't a deal-breaker for me).

9. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Hi Darts

I agree that Eset anitvirus is on par with the other heavyweights of the industry. However, everything else should be taken with a grain of salt :D. Case in point: if you are a "super geek" go ahead and use the new Eset HIPS in interactive mode. I have to warn you though the end result will not be pretty.

But if you are a common and mortal human like me, then you better learn how to cross your two fingers behind your back and take a deep breath if you are going to use the HIPS in automatic mode. Well what the heck, worst things have happened, right...? God forbid, of course.

Thanks. ;).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. darts

darts Registered Member

But wich is better Eset or F-Secure and wy?

11. CogitoTesting

@ Darts

Your question is a cardinal sin at Wilders when it come to A vs B. So I would tell you to use av-test, av-comparatives, pc-mag or etc... in order to compare the two together and make your own choice.

Nonetheless, I could PM you my preference between the two. :D.

Thanks.

12. darts

darts Registered Member

Yeah you could pm me if you want too :D .

Greats

Darts

13. CogitoTesting

@ Darts

Check your PM and trust and have faith in your signature.

Thanks.

14. darts

darts Registered Member

Hey CogitoTesting,

I've send you a PM back thanks for your response,

Greats,

Darts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.