how good is Black Ice and ZA??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by d570s, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d570s

d570s Registered Member

hello everyone, Im new to this forum..

I have some questions about firewalls. how good is Black Ice Defender 3.5?? how would i configure it?? how would i use Black Ice to open up ports such as 80?? how good is the free edition of Zone Alarm?? what is better Black Ice or ZA?? how would i configure ZA?? how do i configure it to open up port 80?? what is the best firewall out there?? any clues or advice?? Please reply back ASAP. thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. d570s

d570s Registered Member

thanks Ron, Im checking that out and i wait for more replies to roll around.

4. ?lowen

?lowen Guest

D570s-- Try here, www.winsnort.com
    the guides there will help you set up a ids/ips efficiently!

It will show you how and where to place your server sensors!

cheers
    lowen

5. d570s

d570s Registered Member

I didnt see anything there. It was all about "Linux" and OS's like that but i have Windows XP. I didnt see anything on what is the best firewall or what is better between ZA and Black Ice. I didnt see anything step by step on how to open up port 80 or anything.

6. ?lowen

?lowen Guest

7. d570s

d570s Registered Member

my post over there is confusing without someone helping me one on one. Im lost..

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Also I would like to add that if you choose Tiny you do not need BlackIce. BlackIce is an Intrusion Detection System for the most part and Tiny can be both an Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention System. Look'n'Stop and 8Signs are only Intrusion Prevention Systems, so you could use Black Ice with either of them. It seems that Outpost would be a good choice for you since it is rather simple and has good tech. support. Look'n'Stop is also pretty easy to use. I discourage using Zone Alarm for personal reasons. Keep in mind that Tiny may be hard to configure if your not sure whats going on.

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi d570s

It has been some time since I have used or looked at BlackIce, so I'm not familiar with the current version and configuration options. From past experience configuration is done via the interface as well as the .ini files. If your going to be running a server, the IDS capabilities make it worth considering.

If your thinking of ZA, you should consider the Pro version which is more configurable and allows for creating specific rules for your web server.

You have also been provided some good alternatives for software firewalls in the other posts.

You also need to consider is software the best solution for what you are planning?

Regards,

CrazyM

11. d570s

d570s Registered Member

Hi CrazyM

ok thanks im using ZA Pro now. Im not going to bother with the rest.. however i still need some private help on Apache webserver. If anyone is up too it please let me know. Its best to help through an messenger or email.. well anyway reply back..

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

err... umm... maybe you'd like to search for "Kerio" threads all over the forums here... just a thought...
    ZA is liked by ppl who don't want to spend time in configuring it, but it has some loopholes, as it may allow apps access to the netork when you don't want them to... like Adobe Acrobat Reader connecting to register (why! oh why!).

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hmmm. Open Forum. Share your concerns. I have used Zone Alarm for years, but am now thinking of switch to something else (no trick, no blow torch in my hand ready to pounce just would like your thoughts) ;) I am reading this one good because a number of times I pick up Black Ice at retail store and put it back on the shelf. Sometimes it is priced cheap (on sale). :D

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Help me out on this one too. And please bear with me I take the firewall seriously but have only used Zone Alarm Free and last year PRO but it now has lapsed key. Also I am now behind Wireless Router Firewall too. My knowledge is not all that great on this key element of security though it is not as know nothing like say newbie would be.
    :oops: Oh I forgot I do have really cheap buy on Norton Firewall 2004 on second machine will hang on to this one for a while time still to go on that subscription. I do not dislike either. :)

15. no13

People.
    If ya like IDS systems... Kerio has Snort IDS licensed (it has IPS capabilities too)
    Kerio and Tiny are equivalent... the maker of tiny had sold off tiny and then went on to make Kerio which is updated by the same team.
    If you REALLY want an IDS... take Snort (www.winsnort.com is a good place to start).
    Snort is Open Source. Snort started for Linux. Snort is available free of cost. Snort is fully configurable. Snort has a large support base.
    As far as firewalls are concerned, get one that allows custom rules and has built-in features and settings that enhance security (ask people on respective official forums about the merits of the firewall you're interested in). When you're done, get an expert to *configure the rules for you*... becoz, a firewall is only as good as its configuration.

16. d570s

d570s Registered Member

ladies and gentelmen,

I choose Zone Alarm Pro 5.1 for my firewall.

What is the best way to configure it?? Step by step instructions on how to configure it. Will anyone post them up for me??

P.S. lets get off topic. Do we have any Apache web server experts on this board?? If so may someone give me there messenger name then we go from there on what i need help with?? btw this Apache is on an Windows XP system. NO Linux or Unix or anything like that. Thanks everyone..

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I dont know anything about Apache, but I do know that BlackIce Server version would work side-by-side ZAP very nice and would help complete your security. Only thing is BID Server doesn't run on XP yet. GL

18. d570s

d570s Registered Member

ok i see. I can handle without configuring the ZAP but i really want my Apache up. next person know anything about Apache??

19. no13

I belive most users here are from the windows environment. You'd get your answers for Apache faster on a new thread. Also, do mention the config of your system on the new thread, whether its a home PC behaving as server, ... you know, stuff that makes experts happy (any kind of relevant data keeps 'em cheerful)
    Do try going to Apache forums (some I think have windows forums, if your OS is Win, that is)

20. d570s

d570s Registered Member

I have made an Apache forum but sorry to say cant wait any longer for help thats why im either posting off topic or cross posting. I just cant wait any longer for 1 on 1 private help.

21. no13

Patience is a virtue. You may have to wait for upto 48 hrs. before receiving a reply.
    Note: replying to your own post makes the biggies (the busy experts on the forums) think that your post has been answered. hope you're not doing that. Posting off topic or cross posting is seen to be a sign of bad online manners... that may also be throwing people off (it happened to me in my early days on the 2nd forum i went to)
    G'luck.

22. d570s

d570s Registered Member

son i believe the 48 hrs is up.. lol.. haha. I understand by not cross posting and posting off topic. I have a habit of doing that once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.