how good is a2?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by bunnyhorse, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunnyhorse

bunnyhorse Registered Member

could anyone tell me how good the a2 scanner is?
    I self tests it, but it has a very poor detection.

My Norton Scanner detects more then the a2 scanner from www.emsisoft.com, anyone has the same result?

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing. :)

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Can we please not beat around the bush here?

WHAT else is being detected by Norton? Pete

4. notageek

Sorry Pete I don't know I was just wondering how good is a²? I never downloaded it yet or ran any tests. But being that Norton is an AV and a² is an AT (?) I would assume Norton isn't finding anything more. than a² is finding.

5. bunnyhorse

I have downloaded several trojan files too and scan it with
    Norton and a2 but Norton detects more. thats really poor for a2.

6. notageek

What trojan files?

7. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Did you unpack the files? What trojan files did you download? What does Norton find? Can you post a log file?

8. bunnyhorse

<Did you unpack the files?

sure.

<What trojan files did you download?

several trojan files from serveral trojan archives, I think it was 80 files

<What does Norton find? Can you post a log file?

Cant find a log file and I deleted the a2 scanner because it has a poorly detection.

9. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Well ... if you deleted it, why did you ask for other comments and thoughts? :) Can you send me the trojan files you tested with?

10. bunnyhorse

<Can you send me the trojan files you tested with?

No i cant, because you sell a software to the users thats really useless and earn money for that, also look self for the files and spend your time to find it.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's keep it civil. I must say, it appears obvious (to me) that this thread was a "fishing" thread. Let's avoid that in the future and try to keep the conversations "constructive." Thanks.

12. StarFox

StarFox Registered Member

Hy bunnyhorse!

There is a free version of a²( a² free) and afaik a² personal is still in Beta.

I think all potential users of a² would appreciate your cooperation with Andreas Haak.

But anyway - keep on testing.

Thanx

13. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Nice rant bunnyhorse..so is that why you joined the forum today. No data...no proof of what you did test just generalities..and now you show you have not even been to the a2 forum ( even though you did download.

Was it the a2 free or the a2 personal...and did you then at the forum look at the malware data base that was loaded to date?

Did you in fact find any badboys on the a2 list that it did not in fact identify for you ??

Did it identinfy any of these 80 for you at all..and if sso what were the names?

Or tell me the names of the ones that Norton found for you.

I think that would be a good place to start.

I know many badboys that a2 and other AT and AV will not ID...but they are not in the wild at this time..and i do not expect to ever see them again in the wild..no matter where you downloaded your zoo of 80. :)

14. bunnyhorse

The a2 team tells no one that the a2 is a beta, because there are sells it at the moment, a Beta version should not sold to the user right?

There are only tells the people that:

Notice! The greyed parts of the Background Guard will be completed and installed via the online update in the next few days. Some features of the background guard of a² personal are not available for Windows 95, 98 and ME.

But in fact it is a beta software and it inherited not all trojan files.
    There are only speak from functions from the background guard! Also a useless beta trojan scanner for $29,95 and European users should pay 35,95 Euro.

15. bunnyhorse

I test the a2 personal , but I will come back with a test and publish it here.
    Otherwise test it for yourself and see the poorly detection rate.
    fact is, the a2 team sells a beta software to the users that isn't completed!

And look at the main site www.emsisoft.com the description about a2 personal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a² personal is primarily a Trojan scanner and remover. But beside Trojan Horses and Backdoors, it also detects other harmful software like Worm-Virurses, Dialer and other dangerous tools which are used by attackers to spy your files. The advanced background guard gives harmful programs no chance to get on your PC. As from now you have the full control over all active programs and their rights on your computer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not read about a beta? You?

16. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

>The a2 team tells no one that the a2 is a beta, because there are sells it at the moment, a Beta version
    >should not sold to the user right?

Wrong. There is notice everywhere - on the purchase page and the download page that a² personal isn't completed yet. Not completed means everytime its unfinished and not final. But well ... I will please Christian to put a more clear notice to the pages :).

And in fact you missed a second important point:

a² is in fact a subscription service and you pay for a yearly subscription. The subscription itself will start with the day of the final release. So you won't pay for the time while its not finished.

But well ... surely you already know that and you just try to instigate people within several boards :). I hope you enjoy your game and wish you a nice day :).

*DFTT*

17. Primrose

I certainly know what data base of malware they do have at this time...

a² Malware Database

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/malware/

which was my purpose in asking you the names and/or more information.

You say beta o_O? I do not think so..it is a stable scanner.

Now if you tell me it is not fully loaded then i can not argue with what i can not see. But if you plan to do some tests and post it here..at least make them badboys the scanner lists in the data base.

That would be interesting.. ;)

18. bunnyhorse

>The a2 team tells no one that the a2 is a beta, because there are sells it at the moment, a Beta version
    >should not sold to the user right?

>Wrong. There is notice everywhere - on the purchase page and the >download page that a² personal isn't completed yet. Not completed >means everytime its unfinished and not final. But well ... I will please >Christian to put a more clear notice to the pages .

Wrong Andreas Haak,

On the download and purchase site stands only that:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notice! The greyed parts of the Background Guard will be completed and installed via the online update in the next few days. Some features of the background guard of a² personal are not available for Windows 95, 98 and ME.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only information that the background guard not finished, no information that the software is a beta and no information that the software isnt completed and no information that not all signatures included!

>But well ... surely you already know that and you just try to instigate >people within several boards . I hope you enjoy your game and wish >you a nice day .

That is not a game, it is the true that you sell a beta software!!

Be ashamed you Andreas Haak!

19. noname5

noname5 Guest

There are many attempts to cause a flame war. But this may be the clumsiest one I have ever seen ... :-*

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

"Cant find a log file"

(Amazing! Can you find the "Power On" button?)

"deleted the a2 scanner"

(Guess - hope - that actually means you un-installed the scanner - even so, it's folder would still be on your computer somewhere [unless you actually did "delete" that] - perhaps a log file is left behind in that?).

"several trojan files from serveral trojan archives, I think it was 80 files"

(Gee, you don't remember which ones they were or where you got them from - how utterly convenient).

Your credibility with this rates about a minus 10 here, frankly.

Even if you simply wanted to bash the product - you could have done it more intelligently.

As regards the "Beta" status of the program, I'm looking at a thread in the a2 forum ( http://forum.emsisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=226 ) which clearly calls the current free version a "final".

The status of the "Personal" edition isn't really clear to me - I don't use it. But if people want to pay for it and all the features don't work, or are being constantly changed (IOW, if it's still in a "beta-like" status) that's certainly their privilege (most people regard that as being supportive of the developer and/or getting a chance to play-with/beta-test all new improvements/features).

I do agree that the actual functioning/non-function of any given component that you're actually purchasing should be clearly denoted on the a2 "Personal" version page ( http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/personal/ ) - so, at least we agree on something! :D Pete

21. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hi bunny,
    i thought i would not interfere here as i am not using a² but .. i had to come...
    here in Wilders... we try to help people and be helped in the ways that are informative, polite and ofcourse understanding and reading to what one says.
    I would say to you... if you have any problems regarding anything... you will say it ofcourse but there are some etiquettes... maybe you know.. or maybe.. leave it...
    if you have problems with a² ( ofcourse one can have with any thing) then i think some of us are having problems with the way you are trying to put up your problems...
    You are always welcome here... we are friends here .. and i think we can expect our new friend to be more "friendly"
    thx

22. Primrose

be nice.. bunny is just practicing :D I enjoy your posts also BTW..but they always make sense. Practice makes perfect..but I am still trying to figure out the motive here for bunny...guess that last post said it all.

It is tough starting out a new Anti-Malware program.
    Testing it with accredited Labs will come some day.

23. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Changed to:

Is it better now? :)

24. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Much better - thank you! Pete

*Except, of course, for the fact that I'm NOT seeing it on the page indicated! :eek: Isn't it uploaded yet? Pete

25. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Its cached within your browser. Click refresh :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.