How efficient is your security setup? (comparative contest)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Here is my result:
    (after 3h browsing)

menager.JPG

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

This sums up why i don't use the 2 otherwise excellent products in your list:

- Opera: 06:22
    - OA: about the same as Opera, if you add all 4 processes.
    - DW: 15:57 (>2 times the CPU time of Opera)

And you should see what happens with something more intensive like p2p...

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

In my Opera i have two separate windows open with ~30 tabs total.
    DW CPU time is that because i was watching TV on my WMP and this takes many CPU time... i don't know why o_O

BTW I don't use p2p software.

4. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

If you mean streaming TV ,yes it is very reasonable for both products to have that high consumption..certainly heavier than any p2p activity much more if you use real time decoders (ffdshow audio/video e.t.c)

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes i watched (about one hour) streaming TV (decoder Audio: Windows Media Audio 9.1, 128 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
    decoder Video: Windows Media Video 9)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

And now after ~1h from my post with screen of the Windows Task Manager, DW process reached ~18min CPU time (on that hour i didn't watch TV).

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

That's strange, looks like a kind of compatibility issue. You need to get DW's logs exported on Opera start and then post it to the official DW support forum or send it to the support e-mail.

8. Fuzzfas

The screenshot was from Creer's PC actually.

9. Fuzzfas

Personally i don't know what exactly happens, but since i had first tried 2.45, DW was always the CPU Time champion. And even exceeded Emule (which is hard) in CPU Time (i think i had sent Ilya a screenshot with that).

DW is excellent for care-free protection, but it has a price in CPU.

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes i know what you mean, i also tried 2.45 few months ago and if i have to compare on the CPU usage level version 2.45 and 2.47 i will tell that new version of the DW is more lighter.

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Agree. But a reboot should solve any slowdowns that are evident after a long uptime.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Interesting, as some users have found the new version heavier.

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Ok, i got new results. I contact with Ilya about high CPU time usage when i open WMP and he fixed this issue. I installed the new version of DW 2.47, and problem disappeared.

These are screens from Windows Task Manager and Process Lasso (average CPU usage in %), 5h after turn on my computer (~4h browsing Opera, and ~3h browsing FireFox):

Windows Task Manager:
    menager2.JPG

and

Process Lasso:
    lasso.JPG

14. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I remember when in v2.45 CPU usage was about 15%-40% in new version max which i noticed was ~12%. About CPU time - i think it is not bad, of course could be better but this not overkill my computer. I can accept this.

15. Fuzzfas

Sure looks better... OA has taken the lead.

That's all that matters at the end.

16. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You have missed working set with actual RAM. Actual RAM is virtual memory used. Using win API you can force out actual memory from a working set to a virtual memory. Some sneaky coders use this trick to fool inexperienced users like you to believe their programs are low on memory usage :)

17. 3xist

3xist Guest

Wow. SOME ONE is jealous...

So what your claiming is that Comodo's Developers are sneaky and fool inexperience users to have such low RAM? Obviously you have missed the point it. Unlike other products, Comodo does NOT use RAM when it's not needed. When it's not needed, It won't give out RAM,- It will remain low, Is this a trick? No it's a fact.

Bottom Line: CIS is very VERY efficient and has almost no impact on your system, period.

You expect me to believe your arrogance referring me as an inexperienced user? Don't be a keyboard hero. Get real mate.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

What is the total CPU time and disk access (second time asked)?

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I posted this quite a while back but some may have missed it.

XP only. Open Taskmanager and note explorer's mem usage.

Open My Documents and minimise to tray and note explorer's mem usage.;)

20. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Please notice that I have checked in my Windows properties: "Launch folder windows in a separate process"
    After open My Doc - explorer.exe, Ram usage was 3,350k, when i minimise window then Ram usage dropped to 700k.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  21. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi mate.

I'll give you a new screen shot with total CPU Time & Disk Access when v3.8 goes final hopefully on the 10th of Feb...

At the moment I returned to v3.5 for testing purposes...

Cheers,
    Josh

22. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Now note Taskmanager's mem usage, minimise, bring it back up and check it's mem usage again.

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thx as said, want to try it on the Vista64 gaming rig of my son (speed is everything for him), is the new CIS 3.8 fully 64 bits?

24. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Oh, no. Please, try to stay withing the technical context, do not jump to personalities.
    Try to read carefully. I said "some sneaky coders". This may be including Comodo devs and may be excluding. Everybody is free to make his own conclusion. But the main point is this is just completely impossible to implement HIPS functionality using modern compiler without some minimal RAM, which in a general case makes 8 -20MB (depending on implementation). Also this depends on optimization model. The code may be optimized for RAM or for a performance. But in any case when I see 4MB working set vs 30MB virtual memory I say - this is poorly coded, because such disbalance causes unnecesary system slowdown. It's better to set working set to 15MB inthis case (with 1GB RAM which is standard nowadays this in not a figure one should be ashamed of) and get the better performance. Another important moment is how much resources hooking process pushes out on other processes. You know, the hooks work in other processes context and theoretically this is possible to get minimal RAM and CPU in a main process but the same resources will then be distributed withing the hooked processes. And for a firewall this is important how much resources firewall pushes out to a system, because NDIS level filters work withing System process context. This is very tricky task in a general case to judge what resources a program takes, and with some tricks this is very easy to fool the people with the figures Task Manager displays. This is what I actually want to say.

Oh, no. Please, stop repeating that rubbish Melih hangs on your ears. You obviously do not understand how win32 memory model does work and surely you are not the one who can judge technical details (neither Melih can, cause he is rather politician than a tech person).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  25. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

CIS 3.8 fully support 64 bit systems. The 3.8 version works in Windows 7 beta too according to most people if you install it in vista compatibility mode.

You disqualify yourself as to speak about those stuff right there.
    Maby if you code in C#, but there is absolutely no reason a optimized hips should need to use 8-20 MB ram all the time.

Where do you get these stuff from.. Its well known that you can free memory you don't use when you code a program.

Some hard code the amount of memory a program should use, other use a more dynamic coding technique were you allocate the memory needed when its needed and remove (free) memory when its not needed. And no reason to go personal against Melih, he knows a lot about computers, much more than most here at wilders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.