How Effective is Mamutu

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I am currently looking to supplement my security software setup.
    I am running Windows 7 64bit.
    Nod32
    ThreatFire (FREE)
    On demand (Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware).
    Winpatrol

SO how effective is MAMUTU in reality? Is it even needed in today's threat space?

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It's a full blown behavior blocker with a long history. It is the same behavior blocker included in Emsisoft Antimalware. I would say depending on your overall setup it would be a great choice. A very strong behavior blocker that is updated almost daily. If you sniff around the internet you may just find a great discount...:thumb: :D

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

4. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Yeap found the 65% discount code and bought the 3 year lic.
    Might as well support you guys while I test it out. :)

The major question is:
    Is it actually effective? Do you actually "see it" work or do you just "Feel it" work? i.e. actually catches things that your AV might not as opposed to just bogging down your system providing a "feel good feeling" but in reality doing nothing.

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I thought this might be a good choice for 64 bit as well. I ran some quick tests in a VM and it scored 130/340 on the Comodo Leak Test Suite. I was also able to run XueTr and terminate applications with it at will without a peep out of Mamatu. In all fairness, this is a poor test, but I expected better results than that.
    Disclaimer: this was on a 32bit system as I don't have my 64 bit system set up to test there yet.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

If you look at the 7th post in the thread below, you can see the behavior blocker (Emsisoft) catching zero day threats :
    http://forums.malwareresearchgroup.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=561&start=90#wrapheader

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

IMO Mamutu is one of the best BB's available.

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Agreed, the market of behavior blockers is very small and sometimes hard to understand anyway. Nowadays there aren't a lot of standalone behavior blockers, most are included in security suites or even free antivirus products (AVG's Identity Protection). Also behavior blockers are functioning together other technologies such as the very closely related HIPS technologies and emulation in many products (F-Secure's DeepGuard). Mamutu is probably the only standalone and alive behavior blocker.

9. blasev

blasev Registered Member

One of the best feature that I love from mamutu is "community based rating"
    Although I'll finally decide my self, it does gives a big picture of what other ppl decide

Also BB has a clearer explanation of what happen, and why it's blocked

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

ThreatFire and Mamutu are the same type of program. Running both is unnecessary, and may cause conflicts.

11. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Place the Mamutu. I use it on my desktop and is an excellent software, I recommend that you place in paranoid, yes have protection!

Could you pass me the link with 65% discount? I put it on my laptop!

Thank you!

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My personal opinion is that Mamutu could be improved a lot more. (Rules could be more complex or there should be more rules protecting more type of actions)

And this is coming from a let's say "Fanboy" ;)
    The good thing is that it's constantly under development and it get's updated every day for Zero Day threats which is awesome :thumb: :thumb: :argh:
    In short, IMO the best stand alone BB out there!! Worth the few dollars that it costs with discounts! :thumb:

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

but if you have the emsisoftware antimalware package you dont really need mamutu as it is integrated in the suite;)

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thats true :D
    Depending on where you live, EAM can be dirt CHEAP!

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you damn correct on this one;)

16. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I have won one year license OA Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware, both of them good :)

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, really i'm an avid beta tester there! :D :D

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

21. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

As an EMSI member told on another forum, Mamutu is made to make the right decision for the user instead of behaving like a HIPS and asking about almost everything.

So it is highly possible that it will fail some leak tests, this member wrote there, because it recognizes that it isn't real malware but just a testing software.
    Just try it with real malware, it always recognizes it. I did some tests, and it didn't fail.

;)

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Remember guys, Mamutu is one of the reasons, next to the Ikarus engine, that makes EAM score so well in the flash tests at MRG.com. The samples Ikarus AV engine misses, Mamutu is there to stop.

Does anyone know of a discount for EAM 5.0? :)

23. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, it's quite silent, even in Paranoid mode, those reviewers should try a classical HIPS once :p

25. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

Yup, can approve, I have tried several HIPS and Mamutu is a lot more silent and more understandable, too.
    But there will be always ppl who prefer being a zombie bot and trust in their "AV and Windows FW is secure enough" security strategy....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.