How effective are avast's AM modules?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jo3blac1, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Okay so I want to know how effective are Avast's real time modules and what do they do?

- Web Shield
    - Network Shield
    - Script Shield

Script Shield is self explanatory. But I have no idea what Web Shield and Network shield does. There is little info on Avast website.

Mods: this topic is purely about Avast's effectiveness against malware, so that's why I would like to keep it here.

2. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Web Shield is a HTTP filter that scans all traffic for malware (html, scripts as well as downloads/executables etc). Works with every browser (or, more specifically, every program that uses HTTP). In case of executables, it also interfaces with FileRep and warns in advance about suspicious/unknown files.

Network Shield serves two things:
    a) a lightweight IDS to handle non-HTTP (and non-email) network-based worms. Not very important these days as there's no big worms anymore, really.
    b) URL blocker. Just what it says - blocks access to malicious URLs (also from any program)

Script Shield is a browser plugin. That is, it's only available for a few browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome). The advantage though is that it can protect against malicious scripts that somehow made it through the Web Shield (e.g. HTTPS).

Hope this helps,
    Vlk

3. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Which ones are redundant with MBAM Pro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.