How Dumb can Hotmail Staff be?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TrBot, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

My hotmail account's password was changed, and also secret question too.
    Out of curiosity, I told MS Hotmail staff, and here is what they had to say.

"We are sorry for your inconvenience. You can change your password"..

:rolleyes:

I told them my password had changed, along with my secret question and here's their response.

"You can change your secret question"

:rolleyes:

I then told them AGAIN that both my password and question were changed, and check this out:

"You can reset your password by answering your secret question"

:blink:

I got like 5 emails from them, and all of them seemed to be female. And they all were such stupid replies that in the end I told them I would use AOL or
    even Yahoo.

No reply.

I just find tihs funny. Damn Hotmail are dumb.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Dumb? I don't know, but if the same case happened to me, I wouldn't go around and make postings about this. You are bashing/scolding them.
    Maybe some of their staff are inexperienced or they're just noobs.

3. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Forgive me for trying to have a laugh.

4. To be honest,I'd be more concerned about how I had been clumsy enough to disclose the data to enable an unknown third party to change my Hotmail account info.

I don't use Hotmail,but I'm guessing they would have needed your e-mail address,password (If not the password then birth date or original secret question & answer to the original secret question).

Perhaps in a cybercafe or library,running poorly maintained software (I believe the back-button scenario was covered by a security fix) a person using the computer after you could have gained access to your Hotmail account by pressing the back button.Once in your account,it's easy to change the log in details.

There again,there are a wealth of "birthdayalarm dot com" scams doing the rounds right now.

Seriously,it is a worrying thing to have happened.I'd spend an amount of time figuring out why and how,then revise my system security in earnest.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think TrBot knows about online security quite well. So it must been have changed by the Hotmail system (happened to me a couple of times, though I was notified on the other accounts).

However, I feel that the replies were less than satisfactory, and IF TrBot had not provided the necessary info already, then they should have asked, right o_O

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

They sound a bit like automated replies generated according to keywords in the email sent to them... At least they do to me, but I figure there was more to them than those lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.