How does Windows XP handle multiple network connections?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

How does Windows XP handle multiple network connections?

I'm not sure if that was worded right. I have two different means of connecting to the internet. Both are "Always on." One is wireless by means of a USB Wireless adapter, and one is via cat5 from a router connected to a cable modem. Both are about the same speed (effectively). In the past, when I connect via the cat5 to my ethernet adapter card I would unplug the USB wireless adapter. I didn't want to, you know, confuse my computer. Then I got to thinking...what if my computer were smart enough to use both connections at once. When one was jammed up it would automatically jump to the other connection. Is that a crazy dream or might it actually work that way?

Should I continue to unplug to USB wireless adapter when the hardwired router is up and running? (The advantage to leaving it plugged in is that establishing the USB connection after unplugging it sometimes requires the computer to "find new hardware" and install it, then load the drivers, and on and on. I have also tried simply disabling the USB wireless adapter in network connections, but it seems like it is sometimes necessary to restart the computer to get it back.

Is this a problem, or should I just be happy that I have two fairly good connections, and not bother you?

-HandsOff!

2. Arup

Arup Guest

If I am not mistaken, to use both connections at once, you need to bridge them.

3. HandsOff

Does that require some additional piece of hardware that acts as a switch, or can anyone with a wireless, and a wired connection bridge them and see spectacular performance increases :)

-HandsOff!

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

No need to bridge them. Having both on at once hurts nothing. XP will use one, probably the wired one, falling over to the wireless should the wired fail.
    You can always go into Network connections, right click and disable one of them. XP will automatically default to the still connected one.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

7. HandsOff

Very interesting article. I could see how this could be a very convenient way to connect to the internet! Thanks, Arup!

-HandsOff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.