How does Trueimage backup and restore so quickly?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by truthseeker, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Before I bought and used Acronis Trueimage I tried programs like Paragon Drive Backup etc.

But those programs took 3-4 hours to backup and restore images if I booted from the boot CD.

Yet Acronis Trueimage only takes 15 minutes.

Out of curiosity, why is Trueimage so quick compared to others?

2. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

TI 11 backs up in Windows in about 15 minutes for me. But restoring from the rescue cd takes about an hour. You must have a really fast system.

~Dave

3. truthseeker

Vista takes up 10GB and the image is about 6GB. And restoring it after booting from CD, only takes 15 minutes.

This is great compared to 4 hours that I used to get with Paragon Drive Backup. And then after hours, Paragon gave an "I/O ERROR" and stuffed my hard drive.

Thank goodness for Acronis Trueimage, the BEST :)

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You have to understand that it won't perform the same on every hardware set up and ATI11, in particular has some curious performance probs on certain hardware setups the prior version worked on just fine.

Of course, it's true of all backup/imaging programs that they don't work on all hardware set ups. They all have their problsems.

5. shieber

The I/O error is probably the result of the same thing causing the very long times. This situation shows on with ATI on some hardware set ups too -- not necessarily the same hardware setups that Paragon has trouble with and not necessarily for one particular reason.

6. truthseeker

Actually I spoke to Paragon and they said it's the drivers that cause it to be so slow if I boot from their boot CD.

They said that if I pay for the full professional version, I will get the proper and fast drivers, so the backup and restore goes quick like Acronis does.

I told them that is so unethical for them to offer a "FULL VERSION" and then people find out that they need to pay more money to get the professional version for fast restores etc.

In any case, I told them I will never use their products again as I feel they are unethical for doing that. I bought Acronis Trueimage and I LOVE IT :)

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Acronis 11 took about 75 minutes to backup my notebook and infinity to restore it (it never ever completed a restore).

Paragon Drive Backup takes about 45 minutes to backup and about the same to restore my notebook.

8. truthseeker

How much data was on your HDD for it to take 75mins?

Did you backup from Windows or from the Acronis Boot CD?

9. AKAJohnDoe

28.5GB, compressed
    Backups done from Windows with both products; restores from bootable CDs.

10. truthseeker

MY Vista HDD has 10GB of data and compressed to 6GB file. And that takes about 14 Minutes on average.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't know how it does it, all i know is that yes it is fast. Not to gloat but i can restore windows xp in 2mins :).

12. truthseeker

How much data was on your XP before you backed it up? And how big is the image file when you restore it?

2mins is fast :)

13. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I use both Acronis and Paragon programs. I backup the 50 GB systems partition (7.7 GB used) every two months using Drive Backup from BartPE. The process never takes more than 10-12 minutes when I backup to the same internal disk, much less (50-60%) when I backup to an external USB disk. The same when I restore the images.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  14. AKAJohnDoe

I am still waiting for a refund on Acronis.

15. truthseeker

Computers are an interesting world indeed.

The reason I say that is because drive backing up seems to work so differently on different PC's.

For example, in my experience and on my PC, Paragon took heaps longer to backup and restore than Acronis does. And Paragon gave me "O/I ERRORS" before it finished restoring. Yet with Trueimage 11, I have it working perfectly.

Then you get people like JohnDoe who has a totally different, flip-flop experience than I do with the 2 products.

Computers are interesting and hard to understand how they can make certain software operate so differently on other peoples computers.

16. AKAJohnDoe

That is fact is the hallmark of quality software: It works regardless of the hardware.

17. shieber

Works regardless of hardware. If that were so, Dell all the hardware manufacturers could let most of their support staff go home. It's a bit easier in the Apple world where Apple dictates standards and allows much less flexibility in hardware. But he PC world is wide open. Great for competition, but very tough for standards.

Especially in the PC world, the variety of hardware is so great, it's rare to find anything that will work with everything --even Windows won't and all the PC hardware maufacturers want to work with Windows. I know you've posted many times, suggesting that Paragon works with anything -- but the paragon forums give a much more realistic view. Luckily, most of the better backup/imaging programs for PCs have free trials so one can test and see what works best on their particular hardware set up.

18. truthseeker

Can you name one software that works perfectly with all hardware?

19. truthseeker

Exactly, well said!

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm not too sure of the exact size but it ends up being around a 2 gig image file. Its a fully updated xp install with all my regular apps installed. Restoring the image from a 2nd hard drive really helps to speed things up.

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

AKAJohnDoe, could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out the reason of the delay.

Thank you
    --
    Michael Levchenko

22. AKAJohnDoe

I called and checked and there is now a refund on record. Thank you for your efforts.

23. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

You are either being naive or you are trying to wind us up. :rolleyes:

F.

24. AKAJohnDoe

Actually, neither. I have made my living professionally in computing since the 1970's, so I am fully aware of the hardware/software boundaries. However, I have also seen it done right, and that is certainly not happening with PCs; no specific attention in this regard intended towards Acronis.

25. dantz

dantz Registered Member

A boot-sector virus? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.