How does TI handle partition sizing on restores?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimshu1, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

I'm an old time user of Ghost, until Ghost 9.0 which I really didn't like with all of the files, logs, indexes it spews all over your hard drive. I only used the Ghost.exe on a crafted boot CD that contained a lot of other tools.

Anyway, Ghost handles image resizing on restore as follows. Can anyone answer these same questions for TI?

Author: Stephen May [Symantec]
    Date: 12:30 PM, Nov 06 PST
    Subject: Re: Restoring Partition Image to new HD Partition

Hi,

Thank you for using Symantec’s Technical Support Forums.

>I do not have a problem. I am trying to better understand the
    >partition resizing done by Ghost under some circumstances. To
    >clarify your responses, I will attempt to state my questions so a
    >yes/no answer can be provided. Pls feel free to explain any of
    >these:

>1. When cloning a PARTITION image to a partition of greater size, no
    >re-sizing of the destination partition will be done by Ghost. Is
    >this correct?

This is correct.

>2. When cloning a PARTITION image to a partition of lesser size, no
    >re-sizing of the destination partition will be done by Ghost IF THE
    >DATA CAN FIT ONTO THE DESTINATION PARTITION. Is this correct?

This is correct.

>3. When cloning a PARTITION image to a partition of lesser size, an
    >error will be generated IF THE DATA CANNOT FIT ONTO THE DESTINATION
    >PARTITION, but no re-sizing will be done. Is this correct?

This is correct.

>4. When cloning a DISK image to a disk of greater size, any
    >partitions will be proportionally increased in size to fill the
    >larger capacity. Is this correct?

This is correct. If you do not want Ghost to increase partition sizes,
    you can use the SZE switch as outlined in the following document:

Title: 'How To Keep Ghost From Automatically Resizing Partitions'
    Document ID: 1999040808045225
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999040808045225&src=w

>5. When cloning a DISK image to a disk of lesser size, any partitions
    >will be proportionally decreased in size IF THE DATA CAN FIT ONTO THE
    >SMALLER DESTINATION PARTITIONS. Is this correct?

This is also correct.

Does TI act like Ghost when it come to re-sizing images on restore?

Thanks for any replies!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimshu1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image has two methods of cloning hard disk drive (the "Disk Clone" wizard): manual and automatic. In the manual mode you will be suggested to resize partitions as you want them to be on the target drive. If you use automatic mode then the partitions from the source drive will be resized proportionaly to the hard disk drives' capacity ratio. Please also note that the minimal size of the target partition is the amount of the used space on the source partition.

When you restore partition from an image (the "Restore Image" wizard) you will be suggested to select the target patition to restore the image to and then you will be able to resize this target partition if you want.

Thank you.

3. jimshu1

Thank you for the reply!

A question:

You stated "Please also note that the minimal size of the target partition is the amount of the used space on the source partition."

I recently had a notebook HD fail and had to replace it with a smaller one. The old HD partition that I had an image of was larger than the new, empty partition I created on the new HD. TI wouldn't let me restore to it, even though the data content was much smaller and would easily fit on the new partition. TI had to "resize" the SOURCE image first, and then would restore.

So, yes, TI will restore if the data on the source partition will fit on the new, but TI does have to go through a resizing of the source partition. Is this correct?

Just an observation that I posted before: this resizing is impossible if the source image is on multiple media. The required swapping of media back and forth is neverending.

Thanks for any replies!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimshu1,

Thank you for your great interest in Acronis True Image and for your questions.

Could you please clarify what you mean by saying "TI had to "resize" the SOURCE image first"?

"So, yes, TI will restore if the data on the source partition will fit on the new, but TI does have to go through a resizing of the source partition. Is this correct?" - No, this is not correct.

Let us make it clear. You have the image of your source partition (from the hard disk drive that has failed). And then you use the "Restore Image" wizard in order to restore this image to a smaller partition on your new hard disk drive. Is this correct?

"Just an observation that I posted before: this resizing is impossible if the source image is on multiple media. The required swapping of media back and forth is neverending." - Yes, you are right. We do know about this problem and our developers will try to change the image archive data distribution in order to overcome this problem.

Thank you.

5. jimshu1

Thanks for the dialog.

<Quote>
    "Let us make it clear. You have the image of your source partition (from the hard disk drive that has failed). And then you use the "Restore Image" wizard in order to restore this image to a smaller partition on your new hard disk drive. Is this correct?"

Yes, that is correct. When I said "resizing the source image" I am trying to restore to a new, smaller partition, that is what I meant. TI image "seems" to go through an involved manipulation of the source partition so that it will be able to image it to the smaller partition. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.