how does TI access pw-protected shares

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by schnecke, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnecke

schnecke Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm really amazed at the fact that TrueImage is able to overcome the regular Windows network share password mechanism.
    Usually one has to enter username and password to get access to network or admin shares.
    TI ignores the name/pw machanism (or did anybody ever enter anything to access shared folders ?) and it works (for Samba shares and Win2000/XP shares as I've tested).
    So I'm asking how that is possible. Does this mean that the Windows SMB protocol is completely insecure ? Do we have to fear hacker programs capable of accessing every pw-protected share ?

Rado

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Normally you have to enter a user name and password. This sounds like a flaw in your network security.

3. schnecke

So what could that be ?
    I'm not running a domain, just simple workgroup shares.
    If you share a folder in WinXP or Win2000 you have to use a valid user/pw combo (from the sharing computer) to access that folder from the network.
    We don't have guest accounts activated on any computer and every user has a password set.
    To access a Samba share one need to have a name/pw combo. You can't access it without login.
    But TI can - why ?
    Are there any secrets in securing Win/Samba I should know of ?

Rado

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

ATI is not bypassing any kind of SMB password security.

If you are already authenticated with a share, then there is no need for ATI to re-authenticate you.

5. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I was assuming that he meant --from the boot disk --- but I could be wrong.

6. schnecke

Yes, even if I'm booting from rescue disk.
    So what could be wrong in my configuration ?

7. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

The share names will be visible without a password. But have you actually tried to write an image to the share? If so, and it works without a password, then your samba or windows share is indeed misconfigured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.