How does the incremental FTP backup work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MattShepherd, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattShepherd

MattShepherd Registered Member

I've noticed that my uploads have gone through the ROOF since around when I started using Acronis. I am backing up crucial working folders (about 600 MB total) to my own FTP site.

Does Acronis "build the backup" first, uploading only the information that is different from the last backup archive, or does it upload the whole kit and caboodle, THEN determine what is different to create the backup archive?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MattShepherd,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

When Acronis True Image performs a full backup file, the program creates a snapshot of the hard drive with all appropriate MD5 values. When an incremental backup is in the process, the software compares the MD5 values for the groups of sectors first, and creates a backup of these groups of sectors that have been changed after the full backup operation.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

3. MattShepherd

MattShepherd Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand correctly, then, Acronis bundles the entire backup, "uploads" it for purposes of comparison, then retains only the changed data?

The problem that I'm having is that it is slow. Super slow. Insanely, mind-bogglingly, hair-pullingly slow. If I have changed one word in one document alone, it takes 3+ hours for the process to happen; I assume because it is uploading EVERYTHING and then checking vs. the last backups, all online.

Would it be faster to do an offline backup, and upload the files to my FTP site afterwards? Is there any way to configure Acronis and say "do a regular backup to my G: drive and hey can you also FTP that to ftp://foo.com/mybackups/ after" ??

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MattShepherd ,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The issue with the low performance can be also related to the low speed of the backup operation. Could you please try to create a backup file and place it to, for example, internal hard drive and compare the time? If the operation runs faster, you can use an FTP client to upload the backup file to FTP server.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.