How does one change the order of process loading??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SamSpade, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Is there any way to dictate the order in which processes start during boot-up? Corollary: how to set the order of process shut-down?

I am particularly concerned about when my firewall and other security apps load during start-up and when they close on shut-down. Obviously, I want them to start first and shut down last.

I have my firewall, Jetico v.1, running as a "service", but I have no idea how to control when it actually starts functioning as a service. Same for my av (nod32) and other resident anti-malware apps, such as SpySweeper.

Thank you!

//

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  2. SamSpade

So, nobody has a clue on this?? I thought for sure somebody in the forum might know how to manually set the order of process loading.

I've gone to SysInternals (now owned by MS, ...) but they have only a crude thing called, "LoadOrder", which doesn't say how to *change* the order. Heck, I can't even figure out how the order is being shown! Is it just in the way the lines for each process are set in the app?? Wish I knew.

Any help deeply appreciated.

3. ravin

ravin Registered Member

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

5. SamSpade

6. SamSpade

Yessir, this also looks promising. This is a program that "does the work for you". I will look into this more deeply to see if it works better for me than the "manual" approach.

-- Happy Holidays all !!

:thumb:

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You could navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and open the Layout.ini file and have a look at the optimal boot order that it provides.

Can't do anything with the file but it may provide some further info.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I can tell you how you do that easily in Linux :).
    Mrk

10. SamSpade

Very interesting. Does anyone know what the file call for _loading the internet connection (via the lan or modem line)_ from the prefetch layout.ini might be?? In other words, the layout.ini sequence shows the order of the files/commands that take place upon boot-up. Which of these is the command for the internet connection to become active ??

11. SamSpade

Why can this sequence *not* be manually changed?? What would happen if you did??

12. SamSpade

13. SamSpade

OK, remind me when I switch over to Linux. :)

In the meantime...

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

No,I think it corrupts if you try to edit it.I know that Perfect Disk uses the layout.ini file to place all those boot files at the beginning of the disk for optimal boot times.

On a fresh install there is no layout file made until the pc has been idle for a while or you if you accidently delete the file the same applies or you can generate a new layout file with this run command -

"Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks"

More info below.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1786009,00.asp

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  15. SamSpade

Thanks again. I checked this boot sequence on my machine and it shows that my firewall loads almost from the start of all the services (of course, there are some 30 to 50 other drivers and things loading *before* this, but it is among the first "services" to load.

My question is: how do I find _when my lan/modem go into action_ from this .ini file?? Where would that show up? under what name??

SamS

//

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Trying startup order apps is one thing, deleting them is another thing. In my own experience, I have tested Startup Delayer (freeware), it is a good program, and I used for a little while then decided to delete it. Something bad, very bad just happened. It took all startup entries w/ it, I had no clues at all. End up I have to reinstall all programs again. I do not know whether Devinco has a similiar experience. :)

17. SamSpade

Ouch !! What a bummer, man !!

//

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.