How does boclean get along?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by dja2k, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I am aiming this thread to people who have used or are using boclean to answer me some questions if you can.

First off, boclean is at 4.22 right now, anyone know if they are near updating to version 5 anytime soon?

Also, am I correct, all updates are free and for an unlimited period of time for definitions and versions if in the same version number ie 4.xxx?

Finally, any serious known issues with compatibility with other software that I should know of?

Thanks in advance if you care to answer this questions.

dja2k

2. john2g

john2g Registered Member

4.22.002 is the current version and I doubt that there will be a version 5 anytime soon (if at all)

All updates and upgrades are free.

The occasional compatibility problem has always been solved very quickly, with a special build if needed.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sorry to intrude into the conversation but i have been looking at getting boclean for my system. I too would like to know if it has any problems. It sounds like a very good program however i'm wondering if someone can let me know about its resource use? A taskmanager screenshot or similar would be great. Thanks!

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

BOClean 2.jpg

Regards, C.

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

BOClean 1.jpg

Regards, C.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I haven't had any program conflicts running BOClean.

Resource usage on XP Home SP2:
    2 running processes in task manager @ 1,736 k and another @ 8,796k.
    Total of 10,532k.

8. muf

muf Registered Member

2 processes. 1 at 8892k the other at 1104k - Total 9996k

I'm running it with KIS6, Prevx1, Socketshield, Regrun Platinum, Ad Muncher and Cookiepal. Lots of variety yet BOClean co-exists very nicely.

muf

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yep I know Muf, I have seen your setup in the other thread :D . Anyways, is Boclean good for detecting Adware and Spyware too like it is for Trojans and how does it alert you about finding any? (does it ask you or automatically blocks it).

dja2k

10. muf

muf Registered Member

Boclean by default tells you it has stopped something and, tells you what it is. I personally have never had it stop Spyware or Adware but a friend of mine who uses it has. He told me he was installing a downloaded app and it tried to offload minibug3 on him. It stopped it dead. He was also using KAV and it got right by it. You can also set BOClean to clean up silently. This is good on a friend or relatives pc who aren't very pc savvy. It will be working away and cleaning in the background and the person wouldn't even know it's doing it's thing. There is a log file you can review to check what BOClean has been intercepting.

I've not had an alert from BOClean for probably over a year now. But then my layered security gets it first. BO is the last line of defence, when all else fails. Fortunately for me i've not had to test this recently. I still wouldn't surf without it though. My brother told me about two weeks ago that BO caught a trojan that had tried to get in through a website(a risky one). He uses NOD which let it through. It's that comfort blanket we all like to have. :)

muf

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Great testimonial on BOClean Muf and I like your new avitar too. ;)

Take it to the bank there will be a version 5.

I have had BOClean for years. With virtually no issues. All issues were very minor and solved without help from Kevin. Occassional it would be wise to put application in safe zone by draggin icon into this zone within BOClean. These issues were several years ago and within the last two I have had zero issues.

BOClean is one of the most friendly products on my PC to other legit apps. My experience on capture and destruction of nasties is similar to that of Muf. Again like Muf it is a great last line of defense security blanket.

AVs change and Firewalls come and go, but one security product always remains my PCs, BO (I pronounce it BOW as in the kind that goes on a package) :doubt:

Service is tops I learned more from Kevin in such a short period of time while having issues with ME OS with not enough ram to keep the system working properly while under the weight of Norton AV. Kevin told me how to tweak my copy so it would work. Just like someone else said a special build.

I learned of BOClean here at the Wilders before joining. As I do with everything I did some research and found a major local university using it and suggesting it's students get it as well. That is what pushed me over the top to purchase.

BOClean it = Malware Defense. It is always on and never sleeps. It stands by like a bouncer in a bar someone gets misbehaving it will spring into action it has a nice long list of who will cause trouble. The list is added to daily by some of the most dedicated in the industry imo. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

My resource usage is almost exactly the same as MUF's in post #8. BOClean is very light and problem free. I'd say it has been one of my most satisfying purchases for the old wonder box here...:thumb: :cool: I flip-flop between BOClean and Ewido (now AVGAS) because I like them both for full time protection. I have licenses for both, decisions - decisions...:blink: :rolleyes:

13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sounds like a decent app for my setup, a lot of positive comments. Thanks guys.

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks Muf and the rest of you for the info, looks like boclean will be added to my setup too in the near future.

UPDATE:

Let me rephrase that, it has been added to my setup. :D

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  15. muf

muf Registered Member

Nice one! In time will be glad you did.

Thank you.

I decided it was time for a change, and what better way than to use a character called Druss who features in a number of novels by a British author called David Gemmell. Heroic fantasy books are my thing, and nobody writes them better than this guy. Unfortunately he died recently. The avatar and signature are my tribute to his memory as his books have left an impression on me that will remain until my dying day.

muf

p.s Nice of you to notice ;)

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Cerxes,

What utility did you use to display the screenshot at your post 4 & 5? I have seen quite a number of similar screenshots in other threads, but just wondering what utility it is. Thanks...:)

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I might have found boclean and online armor don't get along. Can't confirm yet, but when I restarted, OA blocked BOClean from running programs with some special characters on from of each file extension, looked like a bunch of % signs and other characters. Don't know if OA is blocking this, if BOClean is still effective.

dja2k

19. muf

muf Registered Member

dja2k,

A friend of mine runs both AO and BOClean without issue's. Up until 6 weeks ago I ran OA with BOClean without any issue's. Sometimes OA can get a bit confused. Close down BOClean and remove all the permission's in OA that relate to BOClean. Don't delete just right click and select remove. Then re-start BOClean and OA should alert. Just allow any alerts relating to BOClean.

See if that does the trick.

muf

20. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m running OA and BoClean without any issues at all.

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

OA and BOClean running with no problems here.OA had an issue with Ewido a while back but thats fixed with ewido on demand only.did Muf's suggestion work?

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

23. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

No it wasn't a running permission dialog to accept, it was one of those other ones, maybe from the antivirus blocking access to that stuff that boclean tried to change. Haven't seen it again though, but its not any of those other issues you guys stated about OA and Boclean, not at all, they run fine together.

dja2k

24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Stupid question, but how does the company know this : BOClean comes with a 30 day money-back guarantee for individual licensees if BOclean doesn't use a serial or nothing?

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.