How does Acronis True Image 8.0 Deal with Changes Made DURING Imaging?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Curious George, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi --

If one is USING their computer DURING an INCREMENTAL or FULL IMAGING of their computer, how does Acronis True Image 8.0 deal with THOSE changes being made to your data while the program is actually IN USE?

When is the cut-off as far as what it considers as UPDATED during an INCREMENTAL Backup if you are MAKING incremental changes as the program is actually executing?

If I am making changes to my Quicken file DURING and incremental backup and then backup completes, it won't have those changes, correct?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

C.G.

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

I don't know the answer but I would certainly not do anything 'important' while a backup was in progress. FWIW.
    John

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Curious George,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

All the changes made after you press the "Proceed" button are not included in the image file. However you may do the changes while image is being created and it will not result in any problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Curious George,

Slightly ambiguous wording. Just so that we are clear, the "working copy" of your Quicken file will contain the changes but the backed up copy wont.

Regards

5. Thank you for the prompt replies Ilya at Acronic and Mencorcaman!

All set!

I appreciate it!

C.G.

6. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

I would suggest reading the manual.

7. YaBeCuz

YaBeCuz Guest

Isn't it actually technically probable that the backed-up copy will contain some of the changes made since the original image and the precise moment a new incremental copy is made?

It seems to me that if it takes the program 15 minutes to generate a new incremental image and I'm making changes to a qualifying file during that time, and the program doesn't get to that file's sector(s) until 13 minutes into the run, any changes I've made to the file during that 13 minutes will be captured... so, it wouldn't necessarily be directly linked to the milli-moment I pressed the "proceed" button, right?

Just trying to dig deeper into the technical functionality...

8. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Yes what about that, it is a very interesting point indeed. If that is true as I suspect it is, then another "advanced" feature Acronis could include in future releases is the ability to select which files or folders are copied into the image "last". This would be very useful for servers and data centre computer systems.

GeeeAus
    In Oz

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Have a read of this <Acronis Press Release>. It provides some insight into what happens when TI images a system volume.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  10. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Thank you again, you are so very, very helpful; a credit to the forum.

In that case it seems I'm --half way-- right and Acronis could allow users to tell the software to always check the sectors that x files and folders occupy and then update the buffer accordingly as the last part of the cloning job.

Hopefully it will come one day soon.

GeeeAus
    In Oz

11. YaBeCuz

YaBeCuz Guest

Yes, Menorcaman, that was truly a most insightful review and satisfied my technical curiosity on the topic -- makes perfect sense to establish an intercept layer at the I/O level to ensure control of the source "imaging" based upon a determinable Point-In-Time checkpoint/bitmap...

As a former PQ-DI user (before Symantec purchased) exprienced with their (and also Symantec's) limited "support", its great to see a healthy forum environment for ready discussion of the product issues or nuances.

Great stuff!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.