how do you update windows?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

every time i go to WU i get an error; eventually i get past the error message by enabling automatic updates in services to automatic. then, after enabling automatic updates, every time i connect to the internet my FW gives me an alert because automatic updates wants to check for an update, i deny it. this eventually goes away after a few days/reboots because automatic updates in services sets it's self to manual. so next time i go to WU i get an error again. and so it goes on... and on :D

is there an easier way around this? thanks :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

iceni60

XP SP2? Do you have it off in the security center in the control panel?

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, the place I would focus if I was you would be on why you get the error when you goto Windows Update and forget all that regarding automated updates unless you really want that automation.

What error do you get whn you go to Windows Update? Things to consider... Assuming you still have a fully functional Internet Explorer on your system (meaning you haven't hack big pieces of it out for security reasons), then you need to check your trust levels. Windows Update needs most everything enable - ActiveX, active scripting, etc. If you have a functional trusted zone in IE, make sure microsoft is in there when trying to get updates.

Now, if you do have IE functioning and microsoft trusted within it, the next thing to check is the Windows Update log file, which provides more details then what displays on the screen when an error occurs. On my XP system, that file is here:

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log

It is cummulative, so you can scroll through a lot of update history. Many error messages and codes are searchable on the net, and will lead to a better idea of what is going wrong.

4. LowWaterMark

Oh and of course, you got to make sure you aren't blocking any needed Windows Update resource in any firewall or privacy software, too.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

windows\system32\svchost.exe ala generic host process for Windows 32 services needs to run to get an update.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i know i ramble on abit so i'll try and make this clear,
    i can get WU to work, but only after going to>services.msc>automatic update. and changing the setting from manual to automatic. after a few days or reboots, the setting changes back from automatic to manual by its self; if i then go to WU i get the error message, and have to change the setting back to automatic and it will then work.

after successfully updating, when i then connect to the internet WU tries to connect to WU, which i dont allow.

ron-XP SP2? Do you have it off in the security center in the control panel?
    XP SP2- yes
    Do you have it off in the security center in the control panel-yes

LWM- its in the trusted zone, and i just have a green tick when i visit WU

should i post the WindowsUpdate.log for today? it doesnt have anything personal on it does it?

i think this is the error- 80072efd.

7. LowWaterMark

Okay, wait... The only problem you have with browsing to Windows Update is if the automatic update service is disabled. If enabled, WU works fine when you go there in IE, right?

So, the actually issue / question is why the automatic updates service disables itself?

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Could it be possible it is disabled in a prog like SafeXP?

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

correct. i really asked the question firstly, to see it automatic update service disables itself for anyone else?

secondly, when it's enabled, it checks for an update when i connect to the internet and i have to deny it with my FW, and it gets tedious having to do it, which i dont like having to do :(

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i dont use SafeXP. but, i have xp antispy. but i dont think thats it because it doesnt disable straight away, but about 2/3 days later. i'll have a think to see if its anything im doing thats disabling automatic update in services o_O

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Why don't you try setting xp antispy back to the Windows defaults and see if that service still changes.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i might try it, but i'll have to wait a couple of days, because thats how long it takes to disable it's self, before i'll know if that's it. and i dont want to use the internet for that long with window's default settings.

i think i'll just have to wait until my FW doesnt ask to connect to WU, then see what i did before-hand.

13. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello iceni,

secondly, when it's enabled, it checks for an update when i connect to the internet and i have to deny it with my FW, and it gets tedious having to do it, which i dont like having to do quote by you.

Once the service is set to auto - manual doesn't work as you've found out, wuauclt.exe runs - this is the MS update "agent". So if you don't want to connect to AU, instruct the Firewall to block permenantly. You can still go to the site manually and have the system scanned for needed updates. Or simply shut AU off in the control center, the AU service will still run.

As to why the AU service reverts to manual, the only reason that I can think of is that AU may have to have the Task Schedular service running. Have not tested this, so this is speculation. Creating auto restore points by XP's System Restore needs the TS service running for example and AU may be another instance of needing that service on.

Regards - Charles

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello and thanks, zcv :) . when i find out why the service keeps on changing i'll block it with my firewall. thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.