How do you test yours new security configuration?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Aborash, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aborash

Aborash Registered Member

Hi there:

In few days my new comp will arrive, and I'll take a big step changing from XP, to W7x64.

I'm trying to learn all I can, as fast as I can, and searching a properly replacement for the HISP I've been using all those years, (SSM, System Safety Monitor) which was fast, reliable and really unobtrusive, and that's is one of my main concerns, cause, is gonna serve me as programming Pc but a gaming Pc as well, so speed is critical.

I'm a bit lost in security nowadays, but Its nothing that cant be solve with some research and several post on right forum, but until I find the right software combination, I'm wondering how should I plan to test several trial versions, without having to format every time I want to test a new one.

So, you guys, what do you exactly do, to test new security software without mess you windows installation? Do you test software on virtualized systems (like virtualbox, or vmware)? may be with a system backup software? may be another approach?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, cause, as I said, I'm not an expert and I'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

2. guest

guest Guest

I don't know with anybody else, but I always mess up my OS whenever I try something new, even with non security software.

But anyway, what I usually do:

1. Create a system image before I want to try something. In case of minor destruction, I can just restore. I also created a barebone image without any third party apps after I installed Windows and all important updates (should be updated frequently), and tweaked it a little. So if there is a program that I've been using for a long time and it's the one who caused the trouble, I can remove it by restoring and wouldn't need to tweak and update it again.

2. I have an old netbook. I could use it back there to test high risk programs. It's in the process of resurrection now though, but my point is to use a physically separated computer to test programs that can do major damage.

3. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

I test first in a virtual environment either in Vmware workstation or using Shadow defender(if no reboot required). Then I make a backup using AX64 Time machine. Although I am using either windows built-in restore points or a system image made with Aomei Backupper right now because of incompatibility with Windows 8.1. Then if I want to install on real system, I install using a monitored install with Revo Uninstall Pro (which will make a custom uninstall).

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You can set up a VM and do anything you want. :D

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I test in Oracle VM VirtualBox or even sometimes within' a sandbox - Sandboxie

I always make an image before I do anything, just in case.

6. Aborash

Aborash Registered Member

Ok, thanks for all replies, I'm getting the general idea, and now I fell more confident without being worried of mess all system up.

Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.