How do you stop a 'spoofer'?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by pvsurfer, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

A good friend's email address is being spoofed by someone and I have been receiving "his" emails with infected attachments (win32 Bagel) on a daily basis! Although my AV catches and deletes those infected attachments, this has become a big nuissance!

My friend has already sent messages to all of his contacts alerting them that they may be infected, suggesting that they scan their system, but it's been a few weeks and the problem continues! :'(

Are there any other practical means for finding the source?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

pvsurfer

Highly unlikely you could find a SINGLE source. Since the virus harvests email addresses, it would be a long search.

It shows that there are still those that don't scan their computer often enough with an antivirus program.

The particular email program I use, Calypso, uses an encrypted address book. If I were to get this type of virus, it would not be able to harvest one single address.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Hi Ron~
    Thanks for the reply (although not uplifting). If only all email clients (esp. Outlook and Outlook Express) encrypted their address books... Apparently there are those users who don't have an up-to-date AV scanner and (as in this situation) that winds up affecting others! :(
    ~pv

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

These viruses don't just get the email addresses that they use from the windows address book but from any source on your computer, including word docs, html pages and others including all databases like access as well and can take and read any addresses on incoming or saved emails as far as I know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.