How do you remove "Corel Versions" icon from Control Panel

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

For a while I used Corel's WordPerfect Suite in the hopes that it would be less annoying than Microsoft Word. Well...it wasn't. I uninstalled it, and even did a search and delete, yet there is still an icon in my control panel called "Corel Versions."

I dont know how to delete the damn thing.

This is annoying!

-HandsOff

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. HandsOff

Thanks Ronjor,

So that's what it's for!!! I have downloaded it but not run it yet. I am one of those people that downloads everything that sounds useful, but generally will only install them when i see a compelling need, often long after i forgot that I had them.

I am having alot more fun since i have learned to simply backup my system and then install away to my hearts content. I will definitely give it a whirl

- HandsOff

++++++++++++
    HAW HAW HAW!

I just re-read my original post and it hit me! I used a variation of annoyed at least three times, and your download is from annoyances.com (i do have it, but of course have to make sure i have the latest version, it is so darn annoying to have old versions).

I hope this is not annoying anyone

- HandsOff

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

HandsOff

The only thing about tweakui is they offer no support.
    Of course, at the hourly prices they charge for ANY support, I'm not calling them anyway! :D

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Unless they've sold it off to someone else (extremely unlikely), TweakUI is from M$ themselves, part of the "Power toys" set. Since it's not officially part of Win or IE, they (and hopefully anyone else offering 3rd-party downloads of it) make it very clear that there's no support available.

But it's a very handy tool for adjusting settings that are usually difficult to find otherwise, in some cases only through the registry. I personally don't like the XP version nearly as much as the old one for 9x, since a lot's been taken out, but that's probably because of the peculiarities of XP.

6. HandsOff

Who needs M$ $upport when they have Wilder'so_O

I am proud and stubborn enough to say i have never spent a penny for support and probably never will. My feeling is that if I, with my totally awesome intellect can not figure a program out then it is not good enough to be on my computer. I realize that would not necessarily apply to highly customized special applications, but certainly for any of the humble programs I use!

Anyway I am writing this for the benefit of others like myself who have been livinging in the dark. TWEAKUI for xp worked! not only can you remove leftovers from old installations, but you can remove the icons of applications that may be there, but have no good reason to clutter your control panel. I have quite an assortment that i don't know apply to my installation or not...AC-3...well, i have two speakers and a subwoofer, but i think maybe Creative likes to pretent that it is surround sound. REAL? i do not use real as such, but i think possible some of its codecs are used by something or other, but the only control is "Open" and when i click it nothing happens. I suppose i dont need to know if it represents something or not, the fact is i don't need the icon. I could go on, but suffice it to say if i don't use it it is going...going...gone!

- HandsOff

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

HandsOff

Knowledge is power. Wish I had more of it! :D

8. HandsOff

I did not mention something before...it is another control panel mystery!

You will recall that "TweakUI" has the following format:
    a box (w/ or w/o a check) followed by something.cpl - name of some feature

Okay, i am willing to guess

check indicates icon is to be displayed
    something.cpl means something.controlpanel icon
    - there just as separator
    name of some feature, is the name of the file that its linked to

Okay, here's the big mystery, the first entry is:

box w/ check [no visible characters] - [no visible characters]

i dont know how to enterpret this! is this present for all users? The box with a check would seem to indicate that an icon is being displayed...or not? Any explanations or good guesses?

-HandsOff

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

HandsOff

What Version of tweakui do you have listed in the about info?

10. HandsOff

it is version 2.00.1.0

am i to assume you do not have the box checked " - " entry?

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. HandsOff

I did the upgrade to your version, however it still had the entry, in fact it is the first entry of the list of control panel items...

-HandsOff

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

HandsOff

Somewhere in my computing life, I seem to remember that happening to me.
    It might have happened when I was using Win98. I can't remember what I did at that time.:rolleyes:

I am currently looking for a solution to that "glitch". It's out there somewhere.

I don't know which is worse, an icon you can't get rid of, or an entry you can't see.

Bugs! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.