How do you REALLY lock the Internet Explorer Toolbar?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I figure if i ever go postal it won't be because of some huge outrage. It will be the accumulation of tiny little annoyances in computer programs.

Okay...you know how you can right click on IE toolbar and see the tools that have a checkmark next to them (to be displayed) or not. Well when you have chosen then you click "lock the toolbar" and then next time you use Internet Explorer, guess what? IE has decided to change which items it wants to display, checking and unchecking the items however it sees fit. It am fairly certain this is not the result of any (additional) malware. It seems to just be IE works. However, I am also fairly certain that there is a way to fix it. I just don't know it. Any suggestions (other than use Firefox...)

- HandsOff

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Found this HandsOff at experts-exchange (scroll down past the ad's). It addresses the quick launch bar,
    but may also apply to IE being unable to retain settings.

If your comp is a hp or compaq, maybe this page...
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/autotkit.htm

or here for the resetbrowsertoolbar.reg file...
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ietips.htm

It may be as simple as checking that IE is the default browser.
    Can't tell for sure though as I haven't gone through this particular issue.

Two additional pages on IE, should be something of interest...
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbie.htm

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/RegistryTips/IEandExplorer/

Hope you can find some joy...

GF

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  3. HandsOff

GF-

You said it may have to do with setting IE as the default browser. I remember looking at the set system defaults and went to take a look, they are as follows:

The thing is...I have no clue what the significance of Something being the system default. (or the checkbox for allowing access to this program) I have comcast's version of internet explorer and it has its own mail client, so I don't use outlook express. I guess I was afraid that if I set IE as the default, then It might effect my E-mail. I will give it a try first and see what happens.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    -HandsOff

Attached Files:

4. HandsOff

GF-

It would appear that that was the problem. I Guess I am not used to thinking of the E-mail and the Browser as being somewhat independent. When I set IE as the default browser, it did indeed activate Outlook Express as the default E-mail client. When I looked to see if I could change that in the internet tools menu i could not, because my email client was not listed. But anyway while checking this out is when I noticed when I find a missing toolbar item is when I switch between email, and the actual browser. The both have the same options listed for displaying, however they do not show the same items check, if I am guessing correctly, because the settings for my email client are not saved. Does that sound about right? anyway, I will play with it a while, but if thats whats happening its not such a big deal.

-HandsOff

5. GlobalForce

I try to keep this in mind also, the fact IE, and OE are so closely integrated. I have IE as the default browser, but it doesn't activate OE. I have another client for the default here, so quite possibly saved settings may be the cause. I'll check this out too (it's been awhile) and see if we can straighten this formality out. Won't be able to reply till later so.......

If anyone else has some input on this it would be appreciated, TIA :)

GF

6. HandsOff

Hello Again GF

To clarify, when I changed to IE in the "Default Settings" it did NOT change my email to OE in the Default Settings. However, when i did so, I saw, VERY briefly, the words "activating outlook express" at the top of the "set program access and defaults" window. This prompted me to look at the settings on the IE tools > Internet Options > Programs tab. That is where I found OE had become activated. Before the change, this field was blank, so it seems to me that OE was activated.

Since I don't use OE, I'd really like to make it go away.

- HandsOff

I DID IT! My customized tool bar settings are being remembered both places now! I don't know if it is just me, but I find my self misinterpreting the effect caused by checking boxes in XP's settings/menus/dialog boxes. in the default settings window (i guess this is obvious) the checkboxes apply only to the Microsoft product, so if you bullet use current (non OE) email and don't want OE, then you uncheck the make available box. Hopefully if anyone else is looking to solve this program this will work for them as well.

Many Cudos to Global Force for pointing me in the right direction!

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  7. GlobalForce

Sorry I forgot to mention or be more specific the places to check for the defaults.....
    I feel it's safe to say everyone at one time or another misinterperetes how xp executes tasks. Hey, you did all
    the investigation, not me. I only threw up something vaguely remembered from all the web pages I look through.....
    chalk it up to luck! :D I'm glad things worked out for you, maybe we both learned a thing or two..... :D ;)

Now.......as far as making OE go away, take a look at nLite (forum too!). Notok turned me onto this some time ago
    (forget the topic offhand). It'll let you pick-and-choose which M$ items you'd like to keep OFF your system.
    There are many versions available so you'll need to be careful if like me, you favor a stable pc. If you notice,
    the 0.99beta looks like the solid choice for xp.....though if you have sp2, you need to investigate on you're own
    as I haven't made the leap of faith :eek: just yet.....

Maybe before you're next reformat, you can gather all the info you need and post some questions,
    Notok's a helpful kinda guy....... ;) :cool:

BTW, I caught a recent hat-tip for NickS.....I'll second that, the M$ answer man. :D Good advice and problem solving...
    I also, enjoy his posts! :cool:

GF

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  8. HandsOff

Hi again GF -

I am with you 100% on the stability issue, and its always nice to find someone who recognizes the dangers inherent in a program like OE. I am not even going to go out of my way to suggest that it was designed to compromise a user's privacy. It's just that it performs a job that should be simple and straight forward, but instead sucks you into a black hole of endlessly researching settings, patching flaws and so on. You'd like to push it over to the side, but even in the case of my settings where I don't give the program access for my email, look over at netmeeting and there is good old Outlook Express as the default application. Understand, I don't even know what Netmeeting is. Now, if I know I don't like OE, should I be looking at that...OH NO the black hole of endless researching OE is tugging on me! HEH HEH...let's just look at the nLight for a moment...

I'm sure I'll be on the SP2 bandwagon before long. The incentive for me is that I will switch from xp-home to xp-pro.

- HandsOff

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.