How do you know what files to put in Resource Access setting in Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by max2, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max2

max2 Registered Member

I noticed that most of the time you don't have to do this manually but if you have some niche thing you do or want you may have to.

How does one figure out which files to add to Resource Access ?

Talking about all the subcategories in there like File Access, Direct Access ? Is there any easy way to know what to put if something doesn't work the way you want it to ?

If you need an example then like this http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11623 from my previous FeedDemon topic. How do I know what to put there or any of the other settings below it when need be ? Mainly talking about Direct Access and Full Access.

2. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Sandboxie has built-in application templates for well-known applications. So it's always a good place to look at and see if any template fits your needs.

For applications not built-in, such as local programs only popular among your own country, then you need some knowledge for that. Usually they are located in %AppData%, %LocalAppData%. But like what I said, you can only count on your own experience for those particular programs. Sometimes you just gotta try out. And this is where fun happens!:D

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I would say a generic explanation would be that if you run an app in SBIE, and it does not perform properly, you must see if there is an associated app that is the cause (or something, not necessarily an application).

For example, you start PROGGY.exe. It runs, but something it does won't work. You look at ProcessExplorer or some tool, and see that when it starts, the associated app ProggyTool.exe also starts. Maybe that associated tool needs access to something that SBIE is not allowing by default. So in this case, if you trust the associated tool, you give it some sort of direct access, maybe to a registry key, or maybe just full blown access to everything.

Most applications won't need this sort of thing done, but once in awhile you find them.

HTH.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.