How do you install an app in Linux?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have PCLinuxOS-2007. Comes with 2 browsers. But not my beloved Opera. I dl'd a linux Opera & am clueless how to install. Lft clk, rt clk, extract here there everywhere.

I also want to install free BitDefender for Linux.

So how do I install Opera? And BD?

Thanks

2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

You have to open Synaptic package manager, reload so the latest programs load into synaptic via the repositories, search for Opera, check the box to install, click apply and then sit back and wait whilst it downloads then installs.

This is the recommended way to install programs, if the program you need is not available, then requst the program on pclinux forum and texstar will compile the program and add it to the repositories.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Many many answers:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux_commands.html

In general:

You can search via package manager, find what you need and download.

You can use the Terminal, then run sudo apt-get install opera.

You can manually download the package from Opera site. You can download self-extracting archive or tar.

Self-extracting, just run and provide password.

Tar, extract then compile.

tar xzf package.tar.gz

or

tar -xjf package.tar.bz2

Compile:

cd folder
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install

If you got questions, ask.

You do not need BD.

Mrk

4. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

There's a PCLinuxOS user guide available here, which looks good for new users. The downside is that it's for an earlier release of the distro, but most of the basics will still apply.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'd do this (but, i've never used that distro) download the static rpm from opera to your desktop. then do these commands -

cd Desktop
    su
    rpm –ivh opera*.rpm

you could try clicking it first to see if it will install. ubuntu lets you double-click opera to install it.

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

PCLOS has Opera in Synaptic package manager, don't install outside RPM's unless you're willing to break your OS ;)

The easy way to install outside RPM is to install Kpackage from Synaptic, right click on the RPM and choose Open with Kpackage, but once again the warning about installing non-repo RPM's still applies.

Bitdefender might be hard to install, for someone new to Linux, it depends on "libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 " which PCLOS doesn't have......

zapjb when it comes to security you need to get out of Windows mode, take a deep breath and relax, spend time poking around the OS and learn where things are-what they do. :)

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Since everyone else already told you how to do it...

With linux comes choices. Many of the distributions use their own packages managers. The most common ones are apt (for debian and those distro's based off of it such as ubuntu) and yum (for those from redhat, fedora, and maybe suse (sorry I haven't really used any of those, so I am not sure)). Most of the package managers will download the package and all of the dependencies that come with it, while also offering a one-line command to update your entire system (pacman -Syu for those archers;) ) .

On top of these command line utilities, there are various graphical programs that serve as front-ends, such as synaptic, that allow you to graphically do all the things without having to memorize command line arguments.

Besides the package management type things, there is always the option to compile from source and install. However, it can get tricky with dependencies missing, difficult configure options, etc. But, it is always rewarding :D

Overall, I find the whole linux system to easily defeat windows (I love the central management that allows things to easily be downloaded, maybe compiled, then installed, in addition to the one liner that updates the entire system and all applications).

Enjoy your system,

Alphalutra1

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OK I installed Opera via the Synapetic package manager.

And I guess I'll request BD over at the PCLinuxOS forum.

Thanks.

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Replace Opera with any-program-you-like. The idea is the same.
    The procedure that I wrote, download tarball and compile works for everything.
    But again, you do not need BD or any AV in Linux, trust me.
    Mrk

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

How do I scan my Linux partition then? All the online scanners I know don't work in Linux. I tried like 6-8 of them.

I just want to make sure I'm malware free. I was running online without a stealthed firewall for about a day.

And sorry Mrkvonic I don't understand your instructions.

Btw my PCLinuxOS forum registration has to be "approved" by an ADMIN. So I have to wait a day or so to even view their forum.

Thanks all.

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,

There is no malware in Linux. Relax.

Did you read my article?? Try it, really.

Second, how to install anything:

1. Go to the site where you expect to find your product.
    2. Download the source (usually packed as archive with extension tar.gz or tar.bz2).
    3. Extract this archive (as I explained above).
    4. Compile the source (as I explained above).

And that's it!!

Mrk

12. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

The PCLinuxOS forum has some restrictions about new members requesting packages - AFAIK you can only do that after a certain number of days, or a certain number of posts. They're strict about it.

You really don't need an AV, but if you want one I think you'll find F-Prot in Synaptic, maybe Avast too. It's been a while since I used PCLOS but IIRC you can search Synaptic for the type of software you're looking for, as well as by name.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Can't find fprot (f-prot) or avast in synaptic.

I just want to be able to scan my OS. Specially after not using/knowing about Firestarter at 1st. So I was naked on the net.

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I have Linuxes that run without firewall. It's NOT Windows. Nothing happened.
    Enjoy the hassle free world.
    Mrk

15. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

You weren't naked, the Linux firewall iptables was running ;) All ports were closed except 111 (Sun RPC) and 631 (Internet Printing). Firestarter is a GUI to adjust iptables so you don't need to edit config. files manually .

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks.

But I still want to be able to scan my OS for malware.

17. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

If you're concerned that you may pass malware to Windows users, then try looking in Synaptic for ClamAV or KlamAV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.