How do you identify a Radio Station's URL stream

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ruinebabine, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I would like to add this Public Radio Station in Radio Screamer or RadioSure players.
    I tried with URL Snooper but was not able to identify the exact url stream.

I would be very glad if someone was kind enough to tell me how you can do that. Or if there is a better tool that you know of...
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

ruinebabine, according to the Screamer Radio Directory, Radio Canada (Escape Musique) is there, and although I found it in the Presets by Region > America > Canada [0-90], it does not work.

Unfortunately, the URL that you linked to is for a Flash player page and using File > Open URL does not work. Perhaps you should post in their Forum or email Radio Canada.
  3. ruinebabine

Thanks for your reply, JRViejo.

The RadioStation I am talking about is part of the "Radio Canada Two" collection of public stations. They are also called "Radio-Canada Espace Musique". They include 3 main different channels: "Bande À Part", "Espace Classique" and "Espace Jazz".

I know of the stream/URLs of:
    - Bande À Part -> its a series of 8 different stations that are included in RadioSure Player and we can see their stream/URLs by right clicking on each one of those and choosing the Property item (there are 2 stream-URLs for each one)

- Espace Classique -> is included in both Screamer Radio and RadioSure players, and I can see from there that there areat least 5 URLs available to access its same unique streams
    http://radio-canada.ca/util/endirect/espace_musique.asx
    http://radio-canada.ca/util/endirect/culturelle.asx
    http://www.radio-canada.ca/util/endirect/espace_musique.asx
    http://www.radio-canada.ca/util/endirect/culturelle.asx
    http://ms2.radio-canada.ca/EspaceMusique.ogg.m3u

Now, the one I am after is the "Espace Jazz" that I can listen on the web at -> http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio2/WebRadios/Jazz/player.html
    It is a new music station and, as you said, it's an online flash music player. This radiostation is not included in any radio player that I tried in the last days. But I am sure there should be a way to decifer the stream protocols and the exact URLs used by that online flash player to broadcast the music we listen at.

I usually use URL Snooper with some success in those kind of obfuscated cases, but not for this one.

I already posted a message in the Screamer Radio forums a while ago but there was not even aknowledgement of any kind from those folks.

I did also put a hint at RadioSure Feedback page some days ago, asking for help, but no better luck from them either. I can only hope they will surprise me and include it in a future build release.

Finaly I even ask some help at this tutorial blog page reviewing the RadioSure player today and I have to wait and see if I'll have a better luck there.

About asking Radio-Canada themselve, it will have to be my last resort, as I think they're not usualy that happy to give help to see their "customers" use a third party to directly access their precious streams...
  4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Can you use Wireshark to see if there are any url's in the packets that might be useful.
    Wireshark Tutorial
    Example is for youtube.
  5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

It doesn't work for me either with Screamer. I can see in my firewall that it tries to connect to 159.33.65.79.
  6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Using my tools, I discovered you are absolutely right. It is seldom I can't sniff out the direct links, but this is an exception. I will keep working on this, it's a challenge. Nice music, too.
  7. ruinebabine

Yes, but checking those packets, I did not see any better hint than their IP sources (159.33.65.6, 159.33.65.12, etc). Thanks for your help, Searching_ _ _.
  8. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

ruinebabine, after looking at the source code, using Web Developer on Firefox 3.0.8, this is the object on the page:

2009-04-08_011447.gif

There is no way to decompile a Flash .swf file unless you have access to the original source, however, from this embeded javascript: ht tp://www.radio-canada.ca/radio2/WebRadios/Jazz/lib/js/webradio.js

var flashvars = {config:"player.xml", view:"view.swf"};
    swfobject.embedSWF("player.swf", "webRadioJazz", "700", "300", "9.0.0", "expressInstall.swf", flashvars);

I can see that the player.swf obtains some of its playlist from http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio2/WebRadios/Jazz/player.xml and the GUI from http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio2/WebRadios/Jazz/view.swf but still no data stream info anywhere. Sorry!
  9. ruinebabine

And what is even more strange is that URL Snooper only reports a long list of many direct links to MP3 music files.
    Well, I could always use my download manager to go and grab those many songs, and they are uploading them in a pretty hight quality bitrate format (some of them even as hight as 320) and nicely tagged... Good job, Radio-Canada: one could probably build a nice music library this way... :)

Btw, it's not new from those folks at Radio-Canada to see them constantly trying to fuss and implement all kinds of weird propriatory protocols on their listeners. They already upset many of their Linux users in past years that keep unsuccessfully asking them some respect in their techno choices :(

Anyways, Gerard, thanks and please keep me posted if you progress on this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  10. ruinebabine

Interesting info and tool. Thanks for that and to keep trying JRViejo.
  11. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

ruinebabine, you are welcome! Yes, Web Developer is a must tool for Webmasters. Another one is Firebug. Take care.
  12. ruinebabine

13. axial

axial Registered Member

Slightly OT, je m'excuse.

ruinebabine, we are forever in your debt for mentioning Espace Jazz, a thousand thank you's, merci beaucoup's, and whatever other currency you will accept. And I can brush up on my compétences en français ... well, maybe that should be maîtrise de la langue française ... at the same time!
    :D

Our favorite KPLU has been gradually getting more raucous to the point that we shut it off 2x or 3x a day (except for our ever-gentle Ruby Brown on Sunday mornings, she's as mellow as they come) and just starting to look around for internet radio hardware gadgets (maybe a Chumby, or this one: Review of "IRA" ), Pandora, ShoutCast, and so on.
  14. ruinebabine

Merci bien pour ces paroles enthousiastes, Axial, et ce fût pour mon bon plaisir.

I will surely reserve an ear or two next Sunday for ruby because she is gifted with a true belle voix toute chaude et veloutée, en effet (I was delight to listen to her BBC Recordings' tunes & interview...). And a peak at Jazz Side Up's playlist is foretelling to be fort prometteur et je ne serais pas surpris de m'y laisser accrocher les pieds avec délices lors des prochaines semaines.

And thanks also for your hint about this Chumby thingy. Interesting "open source hardware" concept and implementation. It should make for a nice toy, that's for sure! Will try to check if it could be available around here. The article was a good reading as well. Thanks much for your post.
  15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ruinebabine, I'd also like to say 'merci beaucoup' for the excellent radio station! I can't help with your problem, I've just bookmarked the station.
  16. ruinebabine

Osaban, in truth, it's a pleasure for me to know that this very music is well received by some of you here on this board! This station is playing almost all day long here. And please share your station of choice so I would initiate a broaden rotation! :)
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.