How do you get to your email?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Oct 11, 2012.

?

How do you get to your email?

1. email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Opera browser, etc)

47 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Web access via desktop or laptop internet browser

57 vote(s)
    64.0%
  3. Mobile phone/Smart phone

21 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Some other way (please state which way)

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. I don't check my email

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Firefox doesn't open emails. So obviously you use a web based email but which one? :rolleyes:

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I use an email client for several accounts, both POP3 and IMAP depending on the accounts use. I do have one web based account that I access via my browser. If that account had POP or IMAP I would stop logging in via the browser for that account too.

I disagree with all of the above.

Exactly how is it safer and faster? I can disable HTML in my client, can you do that in your browser. I check 15 accounts with one click in my browser. It only takes a few seconds. I can check all of my accounts from my laptop. I am currently 8000+ miles from home, I check my email everyday, as I did in China and Japan on the way over.

Less error? How so??

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thunderbird ... it's got a lot more configuration options than, e.g., Yahoo, or even my ISP's webmail site. My only gripe about it is I'd used Eudora before that and imported everything into Thunderbird, everything went fine except it insisted in naming my account "Eudora Settings".

Oh, and quite often an upgrade (like 16.0.1, just out) insists on corrupting my profile -- for some weird reason, almost always just my inbox and its contents. I do backup my profile periodically, but that's no help for retrieving current mail. So I changed settings to leave messages on the server for two days rather than the default of deleting from server immediately after downloading, so I can retrieve via webmail if necessary.

4. Aventador

Lol...................You can check your emails cause your on YOUR laptop. Also when you use an email client like Thunderbird you need a virus scan to scan incoming mail. With web based email such as Yahoo,Outlook.com or Gmail your mail is automatically scanned. Yahoo uses Norton. What if you did not have your laptop? Then you could not access your email unless that participial pc had your email client installed. If your using an email client then why did you write this? "I check 15 accounts with one click in my browser. You do not need a web browser if your using an email client. Unless your speaking of Opera.

Web based email does not involve any configuring or installation. Make an account and within 2 seconds you have email. I can leave my laptop at home and no matter where I am or what pc I am using I can check my email. Log into "Outlook.com" and presto. I also have 7GB of online storage. I keep some files I need to access while at clients houses. So I log into Outlook.com which connects me right to my SkyDrive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  5. Home Wireless Internet + Browser.

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Gmail

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Browser... so far i don't feel the need to use a email client.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The only time i ever used an e-mail client was in a corporate environment. :D

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No you don't - just don't open risky attachements or links and you can't get infected.

Not so, you can used web based email in such cases.

Also one of the big pluses of using a email client is that you have all your email on your computer, and you don't need internet access to open your exisiting email.

10. Aventador

Lol Roger. I guess you don't have a smart phone. All my email is right in my hand whenever I need it. Same as online.

11. roger_m

I've got three smart phones. I use web based email as well as the GMail and Email (for Exchange emails) apps.

12. roger_m

I'd much use software than a web page for pretty much everything not just email.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I have many email: email client the most important, reserved to my friends, Web access via desktop internet browser the others: for working, sites registration...

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I normally get to my mail through my web browser or smart phone. But I realize an email client is important to save received emails, especially in a business environment. There's been times that email from my online accounts has been lost or disappeared (hotmail/yahoo). Being able to save mail through an email client would have helped in those situations.

15. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I have two ways to access my e-mail.

First, I have a link in my favorites which gives me access to the login page of my client.
    Second, I have a link to my e-mail notifier (Pop Peeper) in the start menu.

In either case, right clicking on the link allows me to read my mail and open attachments within Sandboxie.

16. chrisretusn

I don't use an anti-virus program. I have no need for one. Of the three services you mention; I have multiple accounts in two and one account in the other. With all three, "all" email is automatically scanned. No need to log in via my browser to get that.

Wrong. I can access my email with out my client using a browser, just like you can. I also have a bootable USB stick I can use.

A bit nit picky are we? Since I was referring to am email client, and you so stridently pointed out that an email client does not need a browser, you should have picked up on the obvious typo. To clear it up, that should have read "one click in my email client". My apologies.

Web based mail does involve configuring; if you want more than just the basics. When I leave my laptop at home, I an not planning to access my email. I have three Outlook.com accounts so I looks like have 21GB of storage between the three of them. :)

17. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I feel it's a matter of preference.
    I prefer email client.
    Especially in lieu of relative ease of configuring for multiple hosting accounts.
    Open email client, all email accounts accessible.

18. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I use web-based email services like Gmail and Windows Live Mail.

19. The GLoW

The GLoW Registered Member

On my lappy with Outlook 2010....on my phone, which at the moment is an an "antique" Palm.

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

With Outlook on both a desktop and a laptop and on a Windows phone.

21. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Browser & mobile.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Browser to Outlook.com

23. encus

encus Registered Member

Based on my past experience with Outlook, I used to encounter error when clicking Send/Receive button :(

24. chrisretusn

I get more errors using Web Mail. None using my client. One reason I went to IMAP for a couple of my accounts.

25. Sevens

Sevens Guest

All accounts come thru Thunderbird.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.