How Do you fix the system shutdown bug?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Creekside Rogue, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

Hello fellow forum members.

I have a friend who is experiencing the "system shutdown bug", which I think is a variation of one of the "bagle" worms. I can't remember which one. Anyway, I'm sure some of you are familiar with it. Her system gets a pop up screen stating that the system will shutdown in 60 seconds. She has McAfee antivirus available but can't get it to install correctly. I've suggested to her to start up her computer in "Safe" mode to install her antivirus. Then go online to get the latest updates, then run a scan. I think that McAfee has an "AVERT" virus removal tool, but I can't remember for sure. I also know that there is an 18 step procedure to clean a computer already listed on this forum, but was not sure that she could follow those steps with this "worm" constantly shutting down her system. Any advice or additional steps to help her would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Creekside Rogue

2. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

3. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

60 seconds is not a very long time......if need be..you can download either of the cleaning programs thats been listed..place them on a floppy and then install them on your friends computer......

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

To add to Sweetie(*)(*) instructions, your friend should first go to Microsoft Updates site and install all Critical Updates.

To stop the system from shutting down:
    From this link: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_125007.htm
    Once her system is clean, she can try reinstalling her anti-virus and then get the updates for it and do a full system scan.

Regards,

snap

5. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

Thanks for everyone's replies. All good info. I appreciate it. I never failed to find the help and info I've needed when approaching a computer security problem on this forum.

Thanks again,

Creekside Rogue

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Your very welcome, Creekside Rogue. :)

Oh, the other link you were looking for on this forum is here:
    General Cleaning Instructions

Good luck!

snap

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Click on Start> Run

Type in the following:

shutdown -a

Click OK

This will abort the shutdown process

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

8. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

BlackSpear......thanks for sharing..........appreciated. (is this related only to that particular virus?)

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi TSG, no, it aborts a shutdown, period, I had one that was related to a lsass.exe error (NOT a virus in this case), see here for a very long winded story ;) :D

Cheers :D

10. Elliot

Elliot Registered Member

I've been experiencing the same problem... Very sad indeed. And what's more is that my system is Windows 2000 and didn't have that 'shutdown' utility!

Fortunately I can start up in Safe Mode and I'm ready to follow that 18 steps procedure.

Thanks for Blackspear's help too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.