How do you find your lost phone?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Dec 27, 2012.

?

Do you have location software installed on your phone?

1. Yes, it's part of my security suite

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Yes, it's a stand alone 3rd party product

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Yes, from the phone manufacturer

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Nope, but I do have mobile security software

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. No location software and no mobile security software

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Many people have phone location software installed while some people have none. There's location software that is stand alone while other software is part of a security suite. And there are some phones that have location software installed from the manufacturer. If you have location software installed please state what you use, if you have been successful finding a lost phone and where you found your phone (how far away and where).

thanks

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No I haven't installed any such software only mobile security software. Being a cheap Chinese phone, it didn't come with any software from the manufacturer.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

If I lost one, or it was stolen I would simply replace it. I reluctantly bought my first cell phone about 10 years ago, I still have it.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have used mobile security before but they all seem to make my phone unstable. What's a good, free stand alone anti-theft program that is easy to use? I see there is the Prey program and a free anti-theft from F-Secure but I've never used them.

5. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

I have Blackberry Protect on my phone, came pre-loaded. Luckily, I haven't had to use it yet. I do know that it works though. My nephews phone prior to his Droid was a Blackberry, and someone swiped it while he was at the gym. He used BB Protect, and was able to find and recover his phone.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have Kaspersky Mobile security on my current Android. :D

7. er34

er34 Guest

No location software and no mobile security software

And how do I find my lost phone ?
    > No how. I don't find it :D

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I could never loose my phone, since I wear it on my belt. Anyway, I have just a phone, not a camera or an audio/video player or whatever. It is not even worth stealing. :D

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Nope, but I do have mobile security software.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So far I've only lost it in the house, and when that happens, I just call it. ;)

11. encus

encus Registered Member

Just keep looking until I give up :D .

12. encus

encus Registered Member

Very good answer! :thumb: :thumb:

13. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Nope, but I do have mobile security software. :)

14. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I usually drive back to my girlfriend house that my wife
    doesn't know about and get it off the night stand...LOL
    WOW what a trip that is Muhaaaa :argh:

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I call it with another phone. :D

Actually, "Yes, from the phone manufacturer, if Google's Android Device Manager counts as such.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

[Off-Topic]

How come your wife's phone isn't broken and your head not sore the next morning when you take the walk of shame and try to sneak into your house?:D

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You snooze, you lose.
    So you buy a new one then.
    Mrk

18. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I have Prey Anti-Theft installed on my android phone, but I'm not sure how well it would work because I've started to keep the GPS and Wifi services off whenever I don't need them due to all the leaks about govt spying. It still has 3G always on. It blows to feel like you are always being tracked but I'm not ready to give up the convenience of a mobile phone...

Anyway, I lost it once at a night club, but someone handed it over to the staff who turned it over to the local lost and found, which is where I recovered it. It was after this incident I decided to install Prey Anti-Theft on it. Prey's free service covers 3 devices, which is all I need at the moment; phone, tablet and laptop.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

My brother's phone has been stolen 2 hours ago.:'( :'( ..... Do you guys think it could have been tracked if the phone had some sort of tracking software either standalone or part of a security suite? Nowadays when people tend to switch off 3g, wifi and gps when not needed and possibly remain off during the steal, how can those software save our phones and give us a hope of recovering them?:( ......

The world could have been a better place if there were no thieves to commit these crimes. A phone nowadays is a companion in every step. Very dear to people. Not cool to take them away.:mad: :mad: :thumbd: My brother is sad and disappointed. Makes me sad too.:'(

20. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

@PIInfinity Nowadays when people tend to switch off 3g, wifi and gps when not needed and possibly remain off during the steal, how can those software save our phones and give us a hope of recovering them?

I've been looking at utilizing a separate tracking technology, that isn't built into my smartphone. I'd think something similar to the Wallet TrackR could work. You have a choice of alarm based or simple tracking via radio and energy efficient blue-tooth. You want to go for something slim with decent battery life. Then it comes down to creativity. I'm only guessing here, but I'd image you could look a smartphone case to modify. Maybe one with a kick stand or one designed for a battery extension. Presuming the dimensions are right, it shouldn't be too hard to remove the kickstand and permanently glue some of the smaller trackers. I think the battery extender might work better for the long and slim trackers. Of course this presumes the phone is still within the area. For example, student finds the phone and puts in pocket with phone powered off. You could still page the device, and they would have a hard time shutting it down if they had to remove or dump the case. As you stated, theives focus on disabling radios off and powering down the devices to prevent tracking. Obviously, the escalation here would be if they read this article and started dumping phone cases. I'd also imagine some type of RFID could work for tracking. Wonder what it would take to get my vet to tag case?

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

There are lots of anti theft software out there that can enable the data connection, GPS and other things remotely. So even if you had all those things turned off you could still track the device. Now the problem is that if the thief takes out the battery then you are @#$%^&. :)

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah great. That's the type of anti-theft I'm looking for me and my brother's phones.

23. roady

roady Registered Member

Cerberus......You can take over your phone from everywhere you have internet acces.
    Nice extra,besides al the other great options:if your device has a security code,by every wrong attempt,Cerberus takes a nice picture of the thief without him/her noticing it.....:D :thumb:

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion. Would you mind giving some more advices and suggestions about this in my thread here?:)

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Avast is pretty good but you have to pay for some premium features. It also takes pictures for wrong patterns/codes, track, locate, wipe, forward calls/messages and a lot more.

The best part is that you can do all this either through sms or the web interface which is a big plus for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.