How do you all feel about this firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I've always read how the W7 firewall was geed enough, so after I built this W7 PC a couple years ago I never installed a FW, however, I've always felt somewhat naked, not knowing what was going on. W7 firewall control (I believe that is what it is called) seemed to need a lot of user input so I quickly removed it one time. On the old XP machine I used/tried numerous ones.
    Here is the link! I especially like this and is probably all I'm looking for:

"Once enabled (after a first launch), the application will show a notification balloon when an application attempts an outgoing connexion while not being allowed to do so. A click on the notification will display a dialog box, allowing the user to:
    temporary allow the application
    create a rule for the application, so that it will always be able to connect
    block the application once only, after what other notifications may (will) appear
    always block the application (no notification will therefore be displayed afterwards)"
    Thank you!

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Haven´t tried it, but it does have a nice interface. :)

But for some reason I still feel more comfortable using a third party outbound firewall.

3. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

I have used it on a Win 7 and a Win 8.1 machine. There is no installation involved just unzip to a folder location of your choice and launch the console. It seems to run nicely in the background and has notified me of all known outbound connections, even the ones I had been using beforehand. You can allow, block, skip, or allow a one time use. Within the console you can observe all the rules and modify if needed. So far I cant see where it has interfered with the Win 7 firewall and am very satisfied with it. It does start with Windows so no need to click anything. I havent measured the usage in RAM but dont believe it is very much.

4. themorpethian

themorpethian Registered Member

Bcsman

Ditto, Using it as well now. There's a beta version that recoignizes the services better now. Using it windows 8.1 update with Avira free and HTTP Switchboard. Basically its a KISS (Keep it Safe and Simple) software. I've got a setup on a Vmplayer with a Qihoo 360 Total Security, Avira And Comodo Antivirus for tests, blocks all viruses from outgoing ie, one tried to open Notepad.exe, Blocked it straight away. The only problem is you have to look at the rules, they are doubled up sometimes and you can reduce some by editing one and put the outgoing ports in ie., browser ports 80,443. Wont be going back to Comodo, Online Armor etc, when you get the same results with a built firewall with no overheads. You can even go further by restricting local service ports and outgoing addresses from software updating(I use Process Hacker whois function).

Hope this helps.

Themorpethian

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

gave it a quick spin on a VirtualBox and was impressed, it's simple (maybe a bit too much) and effective

6. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

I've been using Windows Firewall Notifier for at least a few months now. No problems, seems to do what it's supposed to, pretty straight forward and relatively nonintrusive in my experience. I plan on keeping it.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Have checked it out, and I didn´t like it, it takes quite some time to load up the main GUI, and I didn´t like the alerts. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.