How Do I Stop Eset From Telling Me About Win XP System Updates?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by budachild, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budachild

budachild Registered Member

I just came home, turned my pc on... & Eset had a pop up notification appear in a yellow bubble that said "operating system updates haven't been downloaded". I opened the Eset main window and seen it says something about me not having all the latest operating system updates. It even has a button to click on to get all the latest updates for my operating system through Eset. I don't like the fact that Eset is telling me about these updates, as I have Windows XP already notify me about these updates in a pop up bubble regularly that updates them for me directly through Windows XP via Microsoft. I want to stop Eset from telling me about the OS updates.

How do I do that? Without having it turn off automatic notification by my actual OS? I say that because I read the help menu in Eset and it says that if I choose to turn the updates off in Eset for my OS, it'll do so on a wide level or something like that. I may have just read that wrong, and it'll just turn em off in Eset.

Regardless I just want my OS to notify me not Eset! Funny thing is my OS popped up a bubble and told me about the updates 10 minutes later.

Thanks

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Disabling NOD32's system (OS) updates notifications won't effect Windows built-in automatic updates alerting system. It will just stop NOD32 from informing you about them.

Just for reference, here is the ESET FAQ page describing how to turn off the NOD32 alert:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2196

3. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Personally I don't mind NOD alerting me that Windows Updates needs to be run. But the following is puzzling me:

After bootup yesterday the "NOD Windows Update Alert" icon appeared. I activated the icon and Windows installed:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-022 - Critical
    Vulnerabilities in Windows Print Spooler Could Allow Remote Code Execution (961501)
    Published: June 9, 2009

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-025 - Important
    Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (968537)
    Published: June 9, 2009
    Version: 1.0

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-019 - Critical
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (969897)
    Published: June 9, 2009 | Updated: June 10, 2009
    Version: 1.1

After bootup today the "NOD Windows Update Alert" icon appeared again. I activated the icon and Windows installed the same three security updates?!
    I later checked my Windows Update history to confirm that the same three updates were installed both yesterday and today.

I am running NOD 4.0.437
    Question: Anyone else experienced an unecessary NOD Windows Update Is Needed alert?
    Question: When that amber colored icon appears on the sys tray does that mean NOD is still protecting me or not protecting me?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET merely shows information received from Windows Update. If there's a problem, it must be in Windows Update itself.

5. grun93

grun93 Registered Member

The same thing happened to me while running the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Sometimes this application does not recognize that the updates have already been installed and tries to install them again and again.

In short, it is not an ESET problem.

6. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

So, the problem is inherent in Windows then. Thanks Marcos and Grun93.

How about my other concern. Is NOD still in full force when that amber icon is showing?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I got the yellow Icon which said I had 21 windows updates that weren't installed. I accessed the Microsoft update site and it seems that my newly installed IE8 upgrade wasn't configured to download Auto updates as IE7 was. I was asked to download a file that fixed that, and then I was able to install all my windows updates. So it's a good thing ESET told me, or I don't know how long I would have gone before I realized I hadn't received an auto update in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.