How do I restore the image?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hugger, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I was just reading another thread about different imaging products and have a question about imaging.
    I use Shadow Protect Desktop on my W7 Pro pc.
    It's very easy to restore an image that is kept on the same hard drive but in a separate partition.
    But I'm not understanding how I can backup an image to a dvd and then use that dvd to restore the image to the pc.
    I have only 1 optical drive.
    If I insert the boot disc from SP how do I then insert the dvd with the image on it?
    Hope I'm asking this the right way.
    Thanks.
    Hugger

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

With all imaging software, once the bootcd loads to the mainscreen, you can remove the bootcd and insert the DVD with your backup.
    On the mainscreen, you choose "restore", next a screen comes up asking you where the image backup file is located. You browse to your optical drive.

For backing up to a dvd, it's best to backup to a file, then burn that file onto a dvd. It's quicker and more reliable that way. Make sure you only use high quality blank dvd's (not rewritables) verbatim and sony's are 2 of the best brands. Lower quality DVD's can take along time to restore because of read errors.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd like to add that considering how cheap and convenient USB drives are nowadays it is a lot quicker and reliable to backup to these than DVDs.

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thanks both of you.
    This was info I was hoping to get.
    Hugger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.