How Do I Reset My BIOS?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Estimated Prophet, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estimated Prophet

Estimated Prophet Registered Member

I just created a bootable disk. In several places I read that I need to reset my System Bios to accept the bootable disk over Windows. I cannot find where the instructions are to do this.

Can someone either direct me to those instructions or explain how to do this? I'm assuming it's fairly easy to do, like pressing F11 during startup?

2. Searcher22

Searcher22 Registered Member

Hi

I hope I can help.

The access to the BIOS settings can vary but you will typically see a 'note' as to which key to press on the first screen your PC shows as it is booting.

In the case of my self built system that has a Gigabyte Motherboard I press the "Del" key but my Dell Inspiron Laptop I press the F2 key. As you can see the TI manual or help can not provide such information because there are a few too many variations ~ such instructions should come with your PC.

Once in the BIOS setup pages you looking for the section that lets you set the boot order - by default many are set Floppy, HDD0, CD. What you need to do is set the first boot device to CD drive (or similar name from what it may offer you) when exiting the BIOS settings menu it will likely ask if you want to save the changes.

Then provided you have a bootable CD in the drive at the time if power up/boot up that is what will start up.

HTH :)

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Prophet,

Before going into what Searcher22 suggests, you should just try if the computer boots from CD drive with the present settings.

You may find that your BIOS came already set up the right way. My five months old machine didn't need any resetting to boot from CD.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This reminds me of the Gateway PC I once had. I had read the manual for the key to hit to get into the BIOS settings but the prompt for the Key never appeared when booting up. When I called Support to find out how to get into the BIOS, they said, well, the opportunity during the POST lasts only a second so you have to start hitting the (in this case F1) key repeatedly as fast as you can as soon as the POST starts and then the BIOS settings will come up. I knew right then, that Gateway had designed my dream machine ;-)

I think most BIOSs default to Boot from CD with the CD a higher priority than the HDD -- this way you can boot from CD when a bootable CD is in the CD drive even if your HDD has a bootstrap but from the HDD when a bootable CD is not present in the CD drive. However, if it's not working for you, you probalby need to check whether Boot from CD is enabled in the BIOS *and* the boot priority has the CD drive higher/before the HDD.

Good luck,
    sh

5. Estimated Prophet

bvolk,

Thanks!!! I was able to go into Acronis TI by pressing F11 as the opening DOS screen said.

I did not however attempt to recover anything because it said I'd have to reset my boot after recovering. Am I being too cowardly? I'm assuming I won't need to reset my boot config because my BIOS was able set-up "correctly" in the first place.

6. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Put the recovery disk in the CDROM and re-start your computer. If the CDROM is in the boot order as #1, then you will, in a short while, see the blinking cursor in the top left of your screen, and then a selection to choose from if using the v.9 boot disk. You will then know for sure your computer is setup to boot from the CDROM first. The F11 key bitty you did will prove nothing to you about your boot order, as it only works through Windows.

If you do need to change your BIOS boot order, it is nothing!! Really!! To experiment, just restart your computer and then start tapping the "Delete" key...fast...if this is the right key, you will see the BIOS screen open on your computer. If your computer boots into Windows, do the exercise again using the "F1" key. Don't panic when you enter the BIOS! Just use the arrow keys to navigate over to "Boot - xxx" (could be named different on different BIOS - the xxx's mean whatever...just the word "Boot" is what your looking for, as the screen won't open to this selection at first) . When you get the word "Boot-(whatever)" highlighted...then hit your "Enter" key, or look to the right side of the screen and most BIOS have instructions printed to guide you. A page will then open that will show the present order or your booting configuration. Generally to change the first entry to CDROM (in the event it is not listed as first), you use the arrow key again and go down and highlight the line and then "Enter" and you will see all the boot items available. Navigate with the arrow keys and choose CDROM, then "Enter". That will place the CDROM first. Then be sure and check the boot order and place the "Floppy" second, and the hard drive in the third position. All that's super important is that you don't leave the hard drive not showing in the boot order. Just be sure that the hard drive 'follows' the CDROM in the order, you could place the Floppy drive after the hard drive if you want.

The way I show the boot order settings above, however, will allow your computer to boot from the CDROM, or the Floppy drive, before the hard drive boots Windows, just in case you need to boot from a floppy disk at some point later.

...Allen

7. Searcher22

Searcher22 Registered Member

Just something to bear in mind. If you are in a shared household like student residence where others may have access to your PC, I would strongly suggest you exercise caution as the level of security you have on the PC - WinXP has pretty good user accounts that can be setup to limit things like loading new software. That includes in my opinion the BIOS which should be password protected (you find it in the settings) though this can normally be defeated by a determined tinkerer & not to leave it bootable from the floppy or CD.

My thoughts are not paranoid for such situations - the various tech forums I have over time had cries for help from folk who have had their PCs messed by persons unknown.

I hope you have all the above advice of value and you get sorted as to what you want to do.

:)

8. Estimated Prophet

I guess I was wrong before. When I reboot with the disk in it briefly (for about 15 sec) goes into TI 9.0 after the F11 line comes and goes . So that's good right? :D

That sure seems to indicate that it's booting into the cd drive first. I also see the CD-ROM drive working at boot-up.

Searcher. Allens explaination makes perfect sense. Fortunately I'm old enough to have had limited DOS experience.

QUESTION

I'm interested in password protecting my BIOS. Do I go into settings in Windows, or DOS?

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Neither, it is done in the BIOS itself. You should see an entry for password in one of the screens.

10. Estimated Prophet

Well...I figured that out. I got the password. That was gravy. setting my boot order is a little more difficult. Appearently my BIOS goes to the floppy drive, then the FDD (floppy disk?), then the hard drive, then the cd-rom. I have 5 drives. A Floppy with another Floppy slot, a Master and a Slave. a CD-ROM, and CD- R/RW. Unfortunately, I can't seem to move them in the advanced section of the BIOS settings. Every time I think I'm getting it, the CD-ROM goes to the top, but the floppy disk dissappears. I'm thinking maybe I should just make a floppy bootable disk.

11. Allen L.

Some of the boot options available are not necessarily available to each computer the BIOS are operating, as they have to work on all hardware that is installed on the different configured computers. As most computers have only one floppy drive, choose the first one, or by size, choose the one that is smaller (3 1/2") or better yet use the one you say was set in your BIOS, the "Floppy Disk" in the first boot order. I'm not certain what the FDD is, but as the BIOS are set at present to use the "Floppy Disk", assume that is your Floppy Drive. As you highlight each item, look to the right pane of your BIOS, there are explanations there to help you and tell you what each option will do.

You state in your last post when you get your CDROM in the first position, your Floppy disappears...this is natural, as you replaced it in the first boot position with the CDROM . Next you will then arrrow down to the next boot item listed and select it and *then* you highlight the Floppy drive, as it will be listed here also, along with all the other boot items, and then set the Floppy to be next or second in the boot order. (whatever was set there will also disappear as only one can show at a time in each boot order). Then go to the next and find and highlight your hard drive and then "Enter" and it will be in the third boot position. You say you have 5 drives, but I believe one of the floppies listed is an entry for a 5 1/2 inch one and not applicable for most users now. Your CDRW can be disabled or left showing in the fourth position after the hard drive, it doesn't matter as it follows the hard drive, you could safely choose the "Disabled" option, if you have it or leave it as it is. The same with the other floppy drive.

When you get it set up in the correct order, most BIOS say to press the "F10" key to save and exit. Then if pressed, there is a warning banner that pops up and says..."Save settings and Exit", or "No"...select with the arrow keys again the correct choice and then "Enter" and your done. Again, look to the right panel, generally lower, and it will give instructions on how to exit and save settings.

NOTE: The first time you attempt this, write down what was set *before* you change anything...then if things are not correct, you can re-set to what was set before. If you don't write it down, there will be no way to recover the old settings as they may *not* be the default board settings, but some set by your computer manufacturer.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  12. Allen L.

I over looked this statement before I posted the explanation above. I'm assuming that you have only one hard drive installed by your above statement. If you do have a second hard drive please post back, or follow the below, because your next statement somewhat confuses me. The way you state your boot order above is also a little confusing, as it should read 1.Floppy Drive 2.Hard Drive 3.CDROM (Frankly I don't know what device they mean unless they mean a 5 and 1/2 inch floppy drive by the FDD? The way you want it after re-configuring is 1.CDROM 2.Floppy Drive 3.Hard Drive)
    When you state you have five drives...do you actually mean that, or 5 drives just showing in your BIOS?? The way you state it above you would have 6 Devices possible. If you have two hard drives installed then my above statement will mean that you need to choose the 'active' one in the boot order, generally chosen by the name or size and numbers.

I really doubt you have an extra hard drive installed, as to your limited knowledge of the BIOS, but if so, be sure to choose the correct hard drive when you set the boot order in the BIOS. Your post makes me assume this is a store bought computer, set up and configured by the manufacturer.

...Allen o_O

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  13. Estimated Prophet

Well I do have a Hard Drive F: I installed it. I mentioned it earlier.

I have a 20Gb HD Master, a 100Gb Slave, a CD-ROM, a CD-R/RW, and a FLoppy Drive.

But this probably has nothing to do with my problem. The problem is setting the Boot order. I can't seem to get it to do that. When I try, one dissapears.

14. Allen L.

Sorry, but you failed to mention you installed a second hard drive in the above posts...you only mention in one line that you have options for master and slave. But that would have little to do with your understanding of what to do to set your BIOS.

I would suggest you go to the manufacture's website and download a copy of the manual for your computer and read it, or dig up the copy that came with your computer. All computers have BIOS that can be modified. Your BIOS were changed when you installed your second hard drive, but obviously not by you, just automatically by the computer, and correct...luckily.

...Allen o_O

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.