How do I remove this program???

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by 247earnings, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 247earnings

247earnings Registered Member

I recently installed Returnil. It was supposed to be the Pro edition however, it has ended up as the free edition. I do not want this on my system. I have read everything about removing it but nothing works. It is not showing up in my Control Panel so I can't uninstall it. I tried to delete it but received an error message. I tried to turn it off using the Task Manager and it was declined. What the F&&^!

I have never had a program that was so difficult to remove. Please advise what steps I can take to get this program off my computer for good.

Thanks

P.S.
    May I suggest future revisions include an uninstaller.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello 247earnings and welcome to the forums :)

First, RSS 2011 includes a fully functional and effective uninstaller. The usual causes of a uninstall issues are trying to use a third party uninstaller or some type of interference at some point in the uninstall by another security application you have installed at the same time.

One other potential problem involves an incomplete uninstall of a previous version of RVS/RSS in the past for similar reasons as described above. The first thing I need is a step-by-step description of what you did from install through your uninstall attempt including the exact text of any errors you got then and are getting now.

Don't stress, we will get you sorted.

Mike

3. 247earnings

247earnings Registered Member

I installed this program thru an offer with Giveaway of the Day. The program was to be a pro edition but it turned out to be the free edition. As I said before, it is not listed in my Vista Control Panel. I went to its directory, and looked for an uninstall program/file but I didn't see anything that resembled one (See below). I was able to remove it from the Task Manager however, I would like to remove it completely.

Here are the Program Files listed in the Returnil Directory:

rvsvssgui irvs.dll
    rvsvss.exe licenses folder
    rvsrcvr.exe language folder
    rvsmon.psf
    rvsmon.exe
    rvsgui.exe
    rvs3.chm

Thanks for your help.

4. Coldmoon

Did you install and register your copy within the time limit imposed by GAOTD for their giveaways?

This indicates a registration issue which could have been resolved quickly if it were due to a problem with the client or server. Do you need to use a Proxy or gateway server to connect to the Internet? If yes, not entering the proper information in the preferences > Communications tab would cause the client to not be able to connect to our registration server and could be a potential reason for the client showing as the "Free" version.

The installer is universal with features unlocked by the License assigned from the server. You do not have to connect to the Internet to use RSS Pro, but you do need to have at least one connection during the registration process. After the client shows as properly registered, then you can deactivate the communications options.

After the initial installation, Was Returnil System Safe 2011 listed in your "Uninstall a Program" window (Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program)?

RSS includes Kernel mode drivers and requires a very precise installation/uninstallation process to properly uninstall these drivers. This is why the only way to uninstall RSS 2011 is through the Windows add/remove programs feature. Did you attempt to manually remove Rss at this point (ref: Revo or similar)?

That would not do anything as far as uninstalling the program or deactivating the Virtual Mode if it were active are concerned so this has no relevance to the wider issues you report.

Do the following and let me know the result:

1. Open Windows Notepad
    2. Create a test file (name it as anything you wish)
    3. Enter random keystrokes and then save the file as a TXT file to your desktop
    4. Restart your computer

Does the random test file you just created and saved to your desktop still exist? This is to test whether the Virtual Mode is "stuck" in active mode.

Mike

5. gbswales

gbswales Registered Member

Re: How do I remove this programo_O Similar problem

I installed Returnil free off the website or maybe magazine disc many months ago - a new release came out and it told me to uninstall the previous version. I believe I may have tried using Zsoft uninstaller which I usually find more efficient than the control panel add remove - so this may be the problem as the uninstall did not complete properly.

Blaming the uninstall routine (after all zsoft just calls whatever uninstall file you include with returnil) I set about removing directories and then searched the registry for anything labled "returnil" and deleted the entries. I did not have the protection on at the time and if I recall I stopped the programme altoghether from the system tray before trying to uninstall

However it will still not re-install and asks me to remove the old version first and I am also seeing some errors in the log files where it is trying to find returnil files on start up. I thought I had removed any start ups using the tool provided in Spybot - clearly there is something still looking for the programme and I would like to get rid of it

If you can tell me what drivers and registry entries to uninstall then I will follow the instructions for anything remaining - I have just found one more file and directory in system 32 which I have removed but other than that a complete file search produces nothing more about returnil.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. Coldmoon

Hi gbswales and welcome to the forums :)

Please see your PM and let me know if this resolves the re-install issue. In the instructions, there is a critical step that requires you to pay close attention and verify that you have configured the registry key properly. TAKE the warning SERIOUSLY as you can "brick" your computer if that entry is not removed before you restart your computer.

If you are not confident in your ability to edit the Windows registry, please seek assistance from a friend or colleague who does...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.