How do I recover a file deleted by Nod32?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by m_albert, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m_albert

m_albert Registered Member

I plugged in an external hard drive just now, and navigated to a folder, where Nod32 suddenly jumped up and deleted an .exe file from within. It identified the file as containing a virus, but it does not contain one.

I need that .exe, how can I recover it?

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey m_albert
    I guess that the file in question is quarantined. If that is so, you can always restore the file, but you have to be absolutely 100 percent sure that it is not a piece of malware you a restoring. If it is so, you can do real seriously damage to your system. Try to check the file, upload it to Virustotal. Scan also the file with another scanner to get a second opinion. If you are unsure what to do, then I think that you should trust the nod32's assessment of the file.
    Please read carefully: How do I restore a quarantined file in my ESET security product and give it a second thought before restoring. :)

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Very good and wise advice by Janus.

It could be a false positive but dont assume it is.You can download Hitman Pro from here http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/ for mutilple opinions.

4. m_albert

m_albert Registered Member

Thanks a lot guys!! Great advice Janus, I definitely won't assume that Nod32 is wrong, just that I've had that particular file for about 10 years and don't believe it is really virus-infected.

Thanks for the links as well, to both of you!

-Michael

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you sure it's binary identical and has not been altered at all by a file infector? What's the name of the threat detected?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.