How do I play online multiplayer games?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ozzyoscy, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Phant0m asked you to ask specific questions. You want someone to do it for you.

If you dont want to take the time to figure it out Private Firewall is another good light weight firewall.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

What I’m asking you to-do is ‘try’ to help yourself, go through those posts and ask questions on anything that puzzles you or you uncertain about. Giving it’s 100 posts, but it’s not like there’s tons of stuff to read through, they are all basically brief posts ... to me they are.

You know what you wanting, you wanting to have game ports and ranges added, that other topic does give you the tools needed to work with, and allow you to make one rule that handles particular game specific ports and ranges. After you get the understanding of that, creating support for the other games will be a breeze. ;)

3. Phant0m

You’ll need two Look ‘n’ Stop plugin files;

- The official Look 'n’ Stop plugin, Raw Rules edition (PluginEditRawRule.dll): http://www.looknstop.com/En/plugin.htm

- Multi-Port Banlist plugin that I made and available in the ‘Look ‘n’ Stop DLL plug-ins’ forum on MntOlympus, this requires a account on there.

Posts you need to pay extra attention to;
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1670620&postcount=13
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1670822&postcount=18
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1670829&postcount=22
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1670834&postcount=24
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1670841&postcount=27
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1670845&postcount=28

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Phant0m, I noticed LnS 2.08 in your sig. Where did you get that version from and is there a changelog somewhere?

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It's nice to know there are ways to be able to play modern online-games with LnS, but even after reading your "guide" I can't make out how to make it work. I simply think that if you allow an application, it should overrule the Internet Filtering rules completely. It's too bad really. I use LnS on my laptop which I don't play games on and it works flawlessly... but when it comes to gaming, LnS isn't up to par with other vendors' solutions.

6. Phant0m

I wouldn’t ever want to see applications added to Look ‘n’ Stop Application filtering list an they bypass rules on the Internet Filtering page, we be skipping checks to protect against privacy, malformed, invalid, malicious packets traversing. This would really defeat the purpose of this strong ‘rule-based’ personal firewall.

I don’t think the majority of this Look ‘n’ Stop community want to see that or see Frederic adding tons of unnecessary code.

Yes...., Look ‘n’ Stop can be configured to permit any application and game to work, giving, it requires seeking rules, often rules aren’t easily found and seeking aid of other supporters is needed.

To be honest, I’m not liking what I see from some of the serious gamers on here, laziness being the big dislike I have with.

I’m not a serious gamer, so I don’t have pre-configured rules to host for all these different games people uses. I’m willing to aid, but it requires these people to listen and attempt and ask questions on anything they uncertain about. However, what I’m seeing are some who simply want things handed to them on a golden platter, hence why there aren’t many game rules available on here.

That being said, I’m discouraged from future attempts to aid gamer help requests. But if there are those willing to get a little dirty, state my name in the post, and I’ll know you serious about wanting my help and willing to attempt to get your hands dirty.

7. ozzyoscy

ozzyoscy Registered Member

You're doing wonders for Look n Stop's reputation.

I assume by 'serious gamers' you're actually referring to this thread and the general public, who are just simply not advanced in computing or the internet and asking for help, and thus move on to Comodo, Norton, Windows, NOD32 and Kaspersky.

While terms such as "proxy", "ports", "packets" etc. may be known to you, they are not to the vast majority of people out there with computers.

I had no intention of posting again about LnS after being forced to find alternatives such as these, but your behaviour (especially with it being the official forum) is absolutely shocking and downright embarrassing for the product and community you're representing by posting here.

You've had myself and one or two others, and I assume some in the past, saying they do not understand what's being talked about and done in this 100-post thread that keeps being linked to, and not even in an unpolite manner. Yet your response is "lazy" and "ask for help if you need any". You don't actually do anything, you don't even not post if you have nothing helpful to say, you just keep saying these two things (even when the opposite is fact).

If you want to label a bunch of people into a group they don't even belong ("serious gamers") then label them again as "lazy" when they need help then I suggest that "lazy" label belongs to you.

P.S. All of this is irrelevant if you're a troll, but no-one's suggested that so far. Looks a lot like trolling though.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. Phant0m

ozzyoscy...

I’m willing to help, I’m asking you to make a attempt, a particular part you don’t understand about, ask questions and I’ll help you over the bump and other bumps. But at the moment, I don’t see what bump you are hitting.

9. Phant0m

I honestly don’t know where you get that twisted notion from, but it wasn’t from what I had posted, If I meant general public I would have stated so, but I stated “some of the serious gamers”, and let me stress the use of the word “some”.

You implying / stating I’m a troll, you the one keep attempting to twist what I say, and trying to make it seem I’m belittling, degrading somehow the general population.

You continuing to say I’m using terminology over on that other topic that isn’t understood, but you refuse to even bring me to light on what? I basically have details and screen-shots, where do you see all these different terms being used? The goal is to make a rule or rules for different games, It is stated and explained on the other topic with details and images what you can do to make a single rule with multiple ports and port ranges.

I don’t appreciate you trying to tell me that my posts are incomprehensible, anyone who has Look ‘n’ Stop and finally comes to the forums don’t know what ports and packets are. Those who are new to computers finds out soon after what ports are or what it means to have ports unblocked, and you clearly know this term when you had posted on here seeking some form of help.

You forced to find other firewall alternative by the sense that you came on here wanting everything laid out and ready to roll, giving ultimatums and demands and the lack of attempting is what killed any motivation from others on here to help you further. But yet, I continued regardless of the type of character you are showing to be on here, and giving you the benefit of doubt.

And the sad thing about this, I’m still wanting to help you!

That being said, I wish you all the best, and I hope you have a enjoyable year.

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Calling me lazy just isn't fair phant0m.

I'm really into security applications but I do play games over the Steam-network. These have random ports used which requires countless of hours to figure out for each game. Therefore, I cannot use LnS as my primary firewall on my desktop computer. I now use it on my netbook where I don't play.

It is my strong belief that LnS is not suited for gaming (as it once was when it was easier to configure firewall for games). Period. In its current form and with the digital distrubition of games these days which uses the Steam-network, LnS is no option for those who are 'lazy' and don't want to spend several hours of work in each game. Only quick solution now is to open up a wide range of ports when certain games are 'active'; and we're all aware that it's not a safe solution.

I have really tried to use LnS on my gaming desktop, but it's not possible as I've got a job and studies to fill up my time with.

11. Phant0m

You know what else is not fair? you assuming and stating I am, please re-read what I actually had said.

Anyways, I go by actions or lack of, .. those wanting help but are really being reluctant, then we have those who comes on here simply to complain and jump back again.

And from your actions I gather your easily intimidated, you say that it takes countless of hours to figure out the different ports for each game, and I know for a fact that most game manufacturers websites details the different ports that their product uses. And there are some really dedicated people that dedicates themselves in to making massive databases available on the web for others to quickly search for a particular application or game and get it’s ports information.

I know..., Steam-network complicates things some, but who suggesting to open up a wide range of ports which would be irrelevant to the particular game?

12. whitedragon551

Now that I have online multiplayer games under my belt Im willing to help with rule creation so I can export and upload so other users who need help can just import them.

Phant0m perhaps we can start a thread for that here?

13. Phant0m

That is generous and thoughtful of you white, I’m up for that.

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'm not at all easily intimidated. I'm merely stating the obvious fact we're dealing with here. :) Also, these static ports you're talking about are older games. Newer games uses a lot more dynamic range of ports; Steam games are among them. For instance, Bad Company 2 servers uses a port at the hosts' choice. This can literally be any port between 3000-63000. It depends on what port the server is using. Also, take a game called Modern Warfare 2. Via Steam it uses any port depending on whatever the match-making system points you to. Under some circumstances the match-making system will make me a host and everyone will disconnect because firewall is blocking. Since I don't know exactly what ports will be used I cannot configure LnS (at least not with my knowledge and even after reading your excellent guide with the RAW-plugin).

It was easier when games like Age of Empires were played. It was easy to just open the required ports posted on sites around the web. That's not the way it is anymore.

15. Phant0m

Thanks shadek.

With regards to Steam games... so the servers can be random then and with random port ranges?

16. whitedragon551

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, games that require the Steam network seemingly uses a wide range of ports in which I cannot find any pattern. I've browsed the Steam forums where users suggested ports to open for certain games, but it won't help.

18. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I agree with Phant0m in that I have noticed "some" people post here looking for someone else to do all the work in creating their rules for them without putting any time into learning how to do it themselves. Granted, LnS's lack of a wizard based rules creation system and the somewhat unorthodox manner in which the application and internet filtering tables mesh complicates things. This firewall just may not be the best choice for every situation. For example, I still can't understand why an internet filtering rule restricted to a specific application becomes active for all allowed applications once the specific application launches. This among other minor factors caused me to revert back to Jetico until perhaps a newer version of LnS lures me back. Back to the point of my post, based on the sheer volume of help Phant0m has provided in this forum as well as his own, I don't think it is fair to bash him in this thread because he would like to see a little more effort being put forth from those he is assisting. It's the same thing any good instructor would do. :thumb:

19. Phant0m

through the use of Look ‘n’ Stop plug-in interface, you can actually change the Rule wizard, just requires a programmer with some spare time. :)

That feature, associating rules with applications, it works wonderfully if you doing server rules, as only one application can listen on that specific port at a time.

And thank you, for your kind words... All smiles :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.