How do I partition new HD for newbuild PC?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Baz63, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baz63

Baz63 Registered Member

I have built a new pc. It has a new hardrive. I had previously formatted it and put an image of my old hardrive on it. I have still to put winows OS onto it. I want to use this new hardrive in my new PC. I shall migrate all my data files and programmes etc after I have partitioned the new HD.

I'm not sure when I should partition this new HD or how I get Acronis to work on it. It is blank apart from the image of my old HD

How do I put acronis onto my new HD from my old HD so I can partition it? Do I copy it onto a CD and copy it onto the new HD? Do I partition when I install windows onto it? At what stage do I partition the new HD on my new PC?

I've looked at teh manual but can't seem to find where it explains this.

2. Vart

Vart Registered Member

You do not need to partition your (target) hard drive. Acronis True Image will do it automatically.
    Here is 2 method to perform the migration operation.

1) You can create an image of your current hard drive, store it on CD, DVD, network or this hard drive (if you have enough free space). Then you need to plug your new hard drive and restore the image. You should keep in mind that you need to create an image of the whole hard drive to include MBR. Sure, you can restore single system partition but in this case you will need to fix your MBR manually.

2) The second way (it's quite easy)
    Plug your new hard drive and use the 'clone' feature. You current hard drive will be cloned. You should keep in mind 2 things. The first - you should unplug one of the hard drives to keep them in the Bootable status. The second one - it's good idea to use sysprep if your new hard drive is different (IDE vs SATA for example)

I hope it will help you -)

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

To install ADD on your HDD you need to have an operating system installed.

Barring that, you need a bootable rescue CD created by ADD that you can run it from. If you bought a boxed copy of ADD, then I assume it included a bootable rescue CD premade and you're good to go. Just boot from the CD and partition your HDD from within ADD.

If there's no supported operating system on your old PC and you don't have an ADD bootable rescue disc, then you need to find a PC that CAN install ADD on in order to create the bootable rescue disc.

It's beyond me why you don't just install Windows first.
    That's exactly how I'd do it. Windows setup will partition and format the HDD however you like as long as you have sufficient unallocated space on it OR don't care about it's data contents being overwritten.

4. Vart

Vart Registered Member

I think that in this case it's not neccessary to install ADD or OS first.

Let me explain:

Baz63 have a new hard drive and he is like to migrate his OS, programs and data from the old one. In this case he does not need to partition new hard drive or install OS on it. He need to boot his computer up and restore an image to the new hard drive.

"I had previously formatted it and put an image of my old hardrive on it. I have still to put winows OS onto it." - this sentence is looking a bit strange.

As far as I can understand here is the following situation:
    1) Some data and may be some programs were restored.
    2) OS is going to be installed
    3) Old program files are going to be migrated from the old hard drive.

I'm afraid that this scenario will not work. It's impossible (or atleast not easy) to force migrated programs to work (registry issues, dlls and so on).

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, you could be perfectly right, Vart. I did the best I could and made my best guesses given the SEVERAL ambiguities in the initial post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.