How do I open ports in ESS to allow iTunes library sharing over home network?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stevenoon, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenoon

stevenoon Registered Member

Hi all,

Could someone possibly tell me please how do I open ports in ESS to allow iTunes library sharing over our home network?

I've been advised elsewhere that the ports that I need to open are 3689 TCP and 5353 UDP.

Many thanks,

Steve.

2. adhamh

adhamh Registered Member

Have you tried switching to interactive filtering mode, then when a request comes in for a connection to another computer you should get a dialog box that you can allow or deny it, then just save the rule so you never have to do it again. You can even set it up so it only allows connection to that specific computer and port in the advanced section when the box comes up also.

3. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

so far in interactive mode, this strategy works for basic file sharing, sharing media in Windows Media Player, sharing media using Windows Media Center to an XBOX360 and Windows Mobile Device Center v6.1 to a WM6 phone (this also implies ActiveSync v4.5 would work in the same manner in XP Pro). I have two machines running this way doing all this with no issues.

Good Luck and post the results...

4. stevenoon

stevenoon Registered Member

Many thanks for the advice and sorry for my late reply.

Just to let you know that switching to interactive filtering mode has resolved the problem.

Kind regards,

Steve.

5. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

You shouldnt have to use interactive filtering to get things to work. This is a real bugbear of mine re ess, it should just work for a trusted network without having to 'fudge it' by switching to interactive mode and creating rules.

No other firewall i am aware of blocks so much when a trusted network is defined.

The sooner eset fix this the better for them and their customers..

6. shansmi

complain about ESS all you want, try AVG8 for example ...you will be back. They did some great work on the interface and new features but the firewall still needs a little work. That was my package of choice until I could not get media sharing to a Xbox360 working when using it. I removed it and put on ESS in interactive mode (just because I like to see what is going on instead of letting the computer make decesions for me), and everything worked the first time just by doing about 20 allow/save/ok clicks as I tested all my applications(All internet updaters, File Sharing, Outlook 2007, IE7, WU, WMP, WMC, WMDCv6.1 and the Xbox360). I promise you this will not be the case for several other ISS packages without lots of rule / interface tweaking. At least of the ~6 I tested, ESS has won for now for this very reason. ESS does have some problems and I have been told fixes are in the works for some of these issues but hey what man made software package does not have a few bugs in it when released?

:D

7. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I have tried AVG 8 and as you say there are still issues however once you define a trusted network it pretty much does what is required.

I have used Eset AV for many years and still believe it is amongst the best ou there - my point is the firewall is nowhere near ready.

The majority of average home users just want a firewall to protect and to work with minimal intervention. What we have here is ess having to be put into interactive mode to get it to work with a lot of network applications, prompting you to make decisions on whether to create rules or not - confusing and potentially dangerous for the firewall unintiated!

It can't be that hard to work out the problems to get ess to work properly in automatic mode....

8. shansmi

I don't know but I think you are going to find most inexperienced users are still using Windows Firewall not somehting like ESS or AVG. I have never been a fan of "auto" mode - except for windows update and my ISS, I dont run anu auto updaters etc. I would prefer to see those pop ups as would many not by comments here and in other forums.

;)

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have been told that they could possibly implement such thing if many users want it . I personally emailed them about this , it is now your turn :)

A temporary solution :
    Switch to Policy-based mode , create 2 rules (they are called "too general rules") :
    1 for Allow all outgoing traffic
    1 for Block all incoming traffic

This will make the firewall run in Automatic mode with no pop-ups
    Then each and every other rule you create will be like an exception to the first two , because the next rules won't be too general . You can , for example , create a rule to add your trusted zone (or range of IPs) so that you allow all the traffic (in and out) for and from these IPs

3 rules , simple thing :)

You can also create some more rules depening on the fact if you want to allow P2P programs (for example) , but if you have a home network , most likely you should first configure your router/gate.

10. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I have already contacted eset about this. I personally think they are missing a trick here..

By not having auto running properly and either having to run in policy based or interactive with the creation of rules it is causing problems for the mass market.

I disagree that the people who use windows firewall and an AV would not necessarily use ess... all you need to do is look at the shelves of pc world and there in bright shiny boxes are the offerings from Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky etc.

There is no reason that if eset got their act together and made the product 'user friendly for the masses' that they could not take a significant share of the market instead of, lets face it, being a niche player.

Just my 2 cents worth..

11. shansmi

I and many in my circle prefer a firewall in interactive mode - this way we know exactly what is going on. Because things do not work in Auto mode does not necessarily mean something is broken. AVG was my preferred ISS for over 2 years and until my XBOX problems they were very fast at support. After being told all that was fixed in AVG8, I found they were wrong as I upgraded the minute that software was available. The fw kept switching to "Allow All" mode when connecting my mobile and that concerned me since it did not switch back when not using that application; what happens if attacked when in "Allow All" - I suppose I would be vulnerable. This brought me to ESS. I think my applications are like many others with program auto updates mostly turned off except for the OS and AV packages,email and Internet traffic, auto AV scans are setup, I use WMDC to Sync my mobile, WMC to share mdeia to my Xbox, WMP to share media with other PCs on my home network and basic file sharing on my home network as well. I tested all of the popular ISS packages in Auto and Interactive modes. All of them failed in Auto mode, including ESS, to get all services working - I was not suprised and actually I was glad as this meant AVG was not as broken as some more popular packages. At least AVG had them all working but the Xbox. ESS was the first and ONLY to get all services working in "interactive" mode with a few simple clicks right after the install... no adding of rules, no special tweaks - that was awesome!:eek:

Yes the interface needs a little work - it is not very friendly for inexperienced users (most are not if one does not at least have an idea of what a firewall or AV software actually does); I wonder why an AVG scan picks up 1 million files and a ESS scan only picks up 600K? A scheduled Daily Scan in ESS seems not to like having its exection time changed and there are a few other qwerks but hey, I am happy...

It is like anything else.... If it works, if you like it, if it is meeting your basic needs - use it at least until you can find or afford something better. Learn how that program or system wants things done and live with it. Report what you find borken or that needs improvement and hope for change - most software companies take loyal user input seriously...

Like XP vs Vista, like a Nortel router vs a Cisco router, like a Sempron processor vs a Quad Core processor, like driving a chevet vs an escalade, this is the way the world works. Everything has its qwerks but is it livable to you or your end users? :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.