How do I make a rule for INETINFO.EXE

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cooLkAffe, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooLkAffe

cooLkAffe Registered Member

How to make rules(?)

Allright - re-defining my thread about rules creating...

I'm trying to make a rule for a client application. It must be able to make outbound connections at any port (TCP) where as inbound connections it's only for ports 6690-6693.

I authorized the application to allow it to connect to the internet and I added it in the 'applications...'-section of the rule editing. This is what I came up with - and please respond if it's correct or not, and if so - what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

Screenshot:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  2. cooLkAffe

I guess there's no need to answer this... as I'm right :D

3. cooLkAffe

And by the way... when adding rules like this (when you add to the Applications list) - does it then only apply to that specific application?

4. cooLkAffe

Although it seems like I'm only talking to myself ;) - this is what I've come up with about IIS only running on localhost.

In the 'Applications...' list I've added the following (as they automatically asked for authorization):

MS DTC console program
    Internet Infomation Services

Screenshot:

Attached Files:

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi cooLkAffe,

Yes, your first rule in the first post is correct.
    If you added the application to the rule, the rule will be enabled only when this application is connected, but not specifically for the packets sent by this application. If this application is not connected, the rule is disabled and no application can send packets through these ports.

Regarding the last rule, actually the packet filter doesn't see what's happenning on the local interface (127.0.0.1), so this rule is not needed.

Frederic

6. cooLkAffe

Thank you Frederic :)

7. cooLkAffe

Hmm... on boot inetinfo.exe asks for authorization. If I block that the localhost server ain't working, so I think I have to make a rule anyway 'cause I don't want it to be able to access the net as well as others to be able to use the server from the outside...

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

You just need to add the application in the Application Filtering page, but normally no rule has to be created in the Internet Filtering page.

Frederic

9. cooLkAffe

Allright, I'll just do that.

Thank you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.