how do i get inf and files my computer

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by stevwolf, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevwolf

stevwolf Registered Member

Im trying to test doing a backup of a system to a new computer from an old computer.

When I load the PE CD I then need to install some drivers to read the HD and the Network card (at least anyway).

Im dont really know anything about inf files. (Well accept that they install drivers for the various devices.)

How can I find the right inf and other files that I will need to load from the PE CD.

I did get the devscan.exe adn hdwinstall.exe and drvinst.exe utilities, but apart from the pdf file I have refering to what these programs do. There really is little info on how to actually use them. (maybe I dont even need to use them).

Anyway really this is a generic question, which is "How can I find the right inf files and other files I need for my raid controller and network card on the system" so that I can put them on a usb key and then load them from the PE CD.
    Thanks.

2. stevwolf

to update you all

I looked in manage/ devices and found the raid card software driver. I then searched the inf files for an inf that had the words lsi_sas2.sys in it and found it. I then copied the inf file and the lsi_sas2.sys onto my usb key.

Rebooted and I can now access the drive. (after loading the drivers of course via the WinPE load drivers window)

HOWEVER ....

Im still stuck on the network drivers.
    Using the same trick as above I found two files in the inf file (bxnd52x.sys and bxndcox.dll) I put the inf and both files on the usb key tryed runing the inf and it runs but then when I open the network configurer I get " the network is not present or not started"

I then used the UBCD for Windows and a program called drivedouble as i recall. It identifys drivers and then makes backups of them. A great little program. Interestingly it found exactly what I had already found eg.

oem4.inf
    bxnd52x.sys
    bxndcox.dll

Additionally it found a file
    restore.ini

I tried to run the inf from the driver loader on the WinPE, which it seems to do w/out error, but then when I go network configurer it says the same thing eg. the network is not present or not started

Why cant I get this network card(s) to start??
    I got the HD to work so I must be doing something right?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  3. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

You need to find appropriate driver for your network adapted in the internet. You should use drivers for Windows 7 x32 regardless of the insatlled system.

If driver is packed as zip or exe file, you shoulв open it with WinRar or 7zip applocation and extract files from zip or exe in separate folder.

To find what network adapter is used, right-click My computer and select Properties. Then open Device Manager and find Network adapters group . Expand it and remember the exact adapter model.
    If there are 2 adapters in the list try to add drivers for both of them.

4. stevwolf

Thank you for your advice. Im guessing the CD is windows 7 based on what you say.

Im still struggling with this however. Here is the problem.

I have indeed found the card and in theory the drivers. But they are all packed in a variety of files in particular a setup.exe file which I think is un-unpack-able. When you run it in windows all it wants to do is install the drivers. It doesnt uncompress them in a folder.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php

There is one file which is a cab file. But when I open it with my winRar it shows a long list of files, various .dll .sys .inf files but when I uncompress these files Im not sure they are uncompress properly cause it doesnt work with adding drivers option from PE cd.
    The file name have names like ...
    bxois.inf.f93#########_CD3E######
    etc

Im wondering if when I extract these files if they still need to be uncompressed?

Regards

5. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

EXE files with drivers could be unpacked.

1) Install free 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html)
    2) right-click EXE file with driver ans in 7zip menu select Open Archive
    3) Then click extract ans set the desired destination.

There is no need to unpack CAB files. Only EXE of ZIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.