How do I create a bootable CD from 4 (acronis) floppies?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bijvoorbeeld, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bijvoorbeeld

bijvoorbeeld Registered Member

Hi,

I mess-up my harddisks too often (by testing stuff) so I need to use the 4 acronis floppies over and over again. They are terribly slow, so I'm looking for a faster way to recover my system.

Is there a way to put those four floppies all together and create a bootable cd?

Thanks for helping,

Willem
    (holland)

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Why not just create a bootable CD the normal way?

3. WannaKnow2

WannaKnow2 Guest

I'd like to see an answer to this one, too, Willem. I have ATI7.0/RAID issues and the only way that I can restore images is by using the 2-floppy rescue set. If I boot with the rescue CD or the 6-floppy set, the RAID is just not recognized. So if there's a way to put the 2 floppies on a bootable CD and speed up the boot load, I'd love to hear about it.

4. wdormann

WannaKnow2: Are you saying that the "Safe" version of the bootable CD doesn't work?

5. WannaKnow2

WannaKnow2 Guest

I'm unsure what you mean by the "safe" CD version. Actually, only the 7.0.595 CD rescue disk will successfully load Acronis. And then, it doesn't recognize my SATA RAID 0 setup. Anything else---later versions of the CD or the 6-floppy set---fail to load Acronis TI at all. Only the "safe" 2-floppy set loads ATI and recognizes the RAID. I've got an ongoing correspondence with acronis support about this.

I don't want to get too OT here---this is Willem's thread, afterall. Is there a way to make a CD of the floppy boot set?

6. wdormann

Hrm. Though I have no need for it myself, I may see if I can figure out something. Now, to track down some floppies...

7. bijvoorbeeld

bijvoorbeeld Registered Member

Here's an answer: you need winimage

Insert the first floppy in your floppy drive
    Using WinImage read the floppy (select "Read disk" from the menu "Disk")
    Change the format of the disk image to 2.88Mb (select "Change format..." from the menu "Image")
    Insert the second floppy in the floppy drive

Drag and drop all the files of the second floppy to the window of WinImage
    Save the image of the floppies to a *.ima file (select "Save as..." from menu "File")

Done!

But that doesn't help me to make one out of four... o_O

8. wdormann

bijvoorbeeld What about the standard bootable CD doesn't work for you?

9. WannaKnow2

WannaKnow2 Guest

I'm lost, Willem. I used WinImage to extract the contents of the two floppies, but I don't know how to get them burned on a disc. When I save to an *.ima file, I get an IrfanView file. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry to hear that WinImage won't work for you. Why does it have a 2-floppy limit? Thanks for steering me in the right direction---I just have to figure out how to make this work...

10. WannaKnow2

WannaKnow2 Guest

Finally, success! A bit of a learning curve for this noob...

I got the help I needed from a thread at the WinImage forum:
    http://forum.winimage.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

I used Roxio 6 to make a bootable disc with the .IMA file that WinImage created. It loads Acronis in about 3 seconds, compared to 3 minutes for the floppies. Most importantly, it recognizes the SATA RAID and allows me to restore an image to it.

Thankyou, Willem, for showing me the way! I do hope that you find a solution to your problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.