How Do I Claim Unallocated Space?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bf1, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

Hi

I posted a few days back (New Disk Size Not Recognised 26th Jan 2007 12:16) as I used ACT to clone my old HD onto my new one. After the process was complete I found that my new HD was not showing its true HD capacity.

It was subsequently identified that the cloning process created a partition the size of my old HD and the additonal space on my new HD was classed as "Unallocated".

I want to combine this unallocated space with my exisitng partition so that I have one partition with the full capacity of my HD. I bought Acronis Disk Director in order to do this.

Could someone please advise the process I need to go through in order to add the unallocated space to the partition on my HD?

Thanks for your help.

2. dld

dld Registered Member

- Use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a small temporary Secure Zone (SZ) in the unallocated space on your drive.
    - Once the SZ has been created, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard once more to remove the SZ and opt to assign the space it used to the main partition.
    - Reboot your system and you should now find you have eliminated the unallocated space.

3. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I recently used dld's suggestion and it worked well with True Image 10 Home.

Thanks dld

4. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried this again and still no luck. dld - you may recall helping me with this issue a few days back? As a result, I purchased Acronis Disk Director Suite. However, despite my amatuer attempts I think Ive made things worse!

I couldn`t get the Unallocated section of the drive to be recognised, so I gave it a drive name. I then tried to merge it with my F: drive but this didn`t work - message says "E000A0460: Unable to merge the partitions. The selected partitions cannot be merged"

I now seem to have 2 more smaller partitions and all I want is one partition showing my 320GB HD!!!

Hopefully below is a screen shot of my configuration:

untitled.JPG

5. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi bf1... Yes, I remember now having tried to help you a few days back. Although I have Acronis Disk Director Suite I am no expert in its use and wouldn't want to screw things up still further. Wilders I'm sure has a forum on ADDS where you might want to post your problem.

In any case you probably still have the source drive which you used to migrate your OS to your new drive. What you could do is to try cloning again, with the source drive as Master, the destination drive as Slave, choosing to expand the existing partition to fill the destination drive. Use your Acronis Rescue Disk to do this. Then, when your computer will want to reboot, let it power down, pull the plug before it reboots, remove the source drive and install the destination drive as Master, then replug and boot.

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

bf1:

See my reply to you on the DD10 forum here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.