How do I block my Browser Privacy?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dragonetti, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonetti

Dragonetti Registered Member

I went to the PCFlank site and did a "Quick Test" on my computer and got the results on my computer. Thanks to Snow for letting me know what to use to test my ports.

------------
    *Check for vulnerabilities of your computer system to remote attacks

We have scanned your system for open ports and for ports visible to others on the Internet. As a rule an open port means your computer is vulnerable to attacks by crackers. They gain access to your computer and its files through these open ports.

Safe!

*Trojan horse check

The test scanned your system to find signs of a Trojan. If a Trojan horse is on your computer a cracker can access your system's files and your personal data.

Safe!

There is no evidence of a Trojan horse on your system.

Recommendation:
    The absence of a Trojan horse on your system does not mean this problem cannot happen, of course. Anti-virus and/or anti-Trojan software should be installed and used on your system. If you already use this type of software on your system, its virus definitions (virus database) should regularly be updated.

*Browser privacy check

The test checked if your web browser reveals any private information while you visit Web sites. Usually such information is: the last site visited, your locale and who your Internet Service Provider is.

Attention! Your browser is not private. Privacy is 50%
    While visiting web sites your browser sends information about previous sites you have visited.

Recommendation:
    Install a personal firewall program. If you already have a firewall, adjust it to block this information.
    ------------

I ran the "Browser Check" to get a more precise read and got this result back:

-------------
    Results of the test:

*Cookies check

(happy smiley) Your computer does not save special cookies on your hard drive
    Recommendation

Your browser (or firewall) set to block cookies so there is no risk to your privacy.

*Referrer check

(sad smiley) While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information (called 'referrer') about previous sites you have visited.

Recommendation

We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information (referrer).
    -----------

According to the test I ran, my Browser Privacy is not safe. I have ZA Pro version 2.6.362. Is there a way to set ZA to stop the Browser Privacy? Or is there another firewall that would help out along with running ZA Pro?

Another thing regarding the ZA. I clicked on the "check for upgrade" button on my ZAPro and it downloaded version 3.x.x. I don't remember the exact version number, but I know it was 3.x.x. But after I installed it on my computer and rebooted it froze before it loaded Version 3.x.x for me to install the ID number. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Same problem happened again, it froze before I can install the ID number. So I unistalled it and put back on version 2.6.362 and put my settings back to what I had it.

Any help is welcomed.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Dump whatever browser you have and get the registered version of Opera.

You can identify your browser in Opera's settings as any one of three versions of Mozilla; IE5.0 or Opera.

Programs such as Naviscope (freeware): http://www.webattack.com/get/naviscope.shtml can help hide your referer (there are numerous shareware programs that will, too). Check out Eric Howes' page,here: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main.htm , scroll down to the 'Net Privacy' section and have a ball.

If you want to get the latest version of ZA, your best bet would be a total (and I mean total ) un-install of your current version, followed by a fresh d/l and install of the newer version. (Use the 'Search' function here to find 'un-install' or 'uninstall' instructions that'll actually do the job. HTH Pete

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Dragon

will pretty much echo Spy 1..........but with a comment you should very serious consider......you asked about a firewall to "run along with" zonealarm........now thats not such a good idea.........one firewall Dragon...more may actually weaken your security.
    also....most users will get the same broswer report you did.....so don't be alarmed....plug the hole an enjoy....an the easiest way of doing that may be what Spy 1 suggested.
    wishing you well...
    snowman

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I had the same problem that you have with the referer. I came here and asked. Naviscope was suggested. It works great and acts as an assist to my other security apps without interfering with them. It also blocks ads, cookies, scripts etc. by your selection (block or not). I did not change my browser either. I use IE 5.5.

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

My only advice can be, take a firewall with stronger defense as ZoneAlarm, ZA doesn't block private information.

There are enough other firewalls with stronger defense, i use Outpost Pro and cannot complain about privacy problems like you have. :cool:

Ciao,

Smokey

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

referals are a minor issue as for security is concerned ;)

Personally, I'd like to perform an app to do exactly [/]and only[/i] what it is designed for - no more, no less. Although it's OK anyone being satisfied with all sorts of bells and whistles, I for one prefer one app for every single task.

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.