How do advertisers work with spyware?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by astralis, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astralis

astralis Registered Member

I realize that most of the spyware we download is downloaded with our implicit acknowledgment when we download programs. Usually the acknowledgment is buried in the terms of service that most people have to click before we download. The spyware programmers know people don't read them.

But, because it's so hidden and difficult to remove and the popups are an unorthodox form of advertising, especially with the prevelance of pop-up blockers. In addition, they make it so difficult to remove by burying it in .dat files. With this type of behavior, how do they get companies like Fox, which is advertising on xlime.offerthis.com, to advertise in these unorthodox internal pop-ups?

Why do the companies trust them so much? These ads must be extremely effective. Would it be advantageous to go after the companies with negative letters and emails about their advertising with these spyware programs?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

astralis

Money is the reason for most of the bad behaviour.

I'm not sure any trust is involved.

Better to read the privacy policy these days. You can look at this site and the problems people are having because of the things you mention.

Microsoft has even become educated.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Ronjor - That's an informative article. Didn't realize there was so much good stuff on the MS web site. So much of what I've seen there in the past has been too "technical" for me to understand. Thanks. :D

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Dazed_and_Confused

I agree on the technical wording they use in most cases.

It looks like they realize people sometimes don't understand what they are saying.

It's a start! :)

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Very easy to understand, well writen article by microsoft. :)
    I think...those guys behind making all this spyware junk, what drove them to do all this, guess its most probably their greediness for money.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

It is generally well-written, but the sentence "You might be the target of spyware if you download music from file-sharing programs" could almost have come from the RIAA Ministry of Information. :(

One point to make about major companies advertising by these means is that they may not be aware of it! Many of them contract out advertising to outside marketing agencies who then, lacking technical knowledge, fall for the "GUARANTEED RESPONSE - WE OWN YOUR CUSTOMERZ D3SKT0PZ D00D!"-type spiel from spyware makers. If you encounter this, email the company concerned pointing out the annoyance and questionable legality of such methods and stressing the damage that it is doing to their corporate image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.