How did Stilesoft NetCaptor get in my Registry???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This is a puzzle to me! I am a firefox user, and I don't use all that many extensions. Is this possibly related to "permatabs" or somethinng like that? To my knowledge, Netcaptor is wrapped around internet explorer, and has nothing to do with firefox!

At present I only see it as a registered software with no execution path and no main executable. Another mystery!

-HandsOff

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I had this also after the install of some software, i think it was FF o IE7. Never mind i deleted the registry entry and everythink OK.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Me too. Me too!

But in my case. I delete it & it always comes back. Maybe not right away. But always.

So whats up with that?

No it's not malware of any kind.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have installed FF2.0 but not IE7. No NetCaptor in registry.
    Mrk

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

FF2 installed, uninstalled IE7, no Netcaptor here.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just checked Netcaptor is gone.

But I've seen it come back so many times. I'm not convinced it won't come back again.

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I will go ahead and delete it. But hearing from the rest of you has brought home a point that really annoys me. It's hard to know if registry entries can be deleted, even if we don't like the sound of them.

For instance:

Support.com-
    To my knowledge this is related to installation software from comcast and ATT. I am almost sure I could delete the entries. I still have comcast, but I have deleted all the support.com programs.

Softwrap -
    This would seem to related to being spied on, but it may have some legitimate reason to be there, after all, my security programs ignore it.

Trymedia -
    Dont know how it got there. I think it relates to trial programs. on the other hand what if is authorization for some full program that I have installed.

I'd like to clean a lot of stuff out of my registry but just regular maintanence already involves a ton of registry deletions. I guess all one can do is live with them or "see what happens" I don't suppose there is any central repository for these kind of entries?

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.