How come noone talks about Kaspersky here?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i never used any toolbar of any security product. chrome extensions work different from firefox or opera. nevertheless some chrome extensions have also stopped working in the past after update or became buggy.

one to mention for kaspersky vs firefox - kaspersky has 18 weeks to get along with new builds: 6/nightly - 6/aurora - 6/beta (in beta there were never big changes). similar for chrome and opera.

although a descent and nearly proper working product (i never had really trouble while testing). but eset has same from time to time with the thunderbird extension - avast with webrep aso.

2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

As for the complaints of no free version, I work in the software industry and can tell you programming staff and IT workers by no means work for free. Any for profit business has the right to charge whatever they can get you to pay for something. I have licenses for multiple paid AV products, and feel they are worth the money over the free products out there. Discounts for all of the major vendors can be found on sites like Amazon and such on a regular basis. Actually my last 2 KIS licenses were free after rebate and $20. These were 3 user licenses.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree....They are worth it and the bargains are out there. I keep a license for KIS, NIS, BIS, WSA Complete, and Avast IS...and found very good deals on each. :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  3. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

no problem ;)
    you asked if kasperky is still the best? and i answered HELL NO!!

you have avira, symantec/norton, bitdefender, eset/nod32 and other AV's that are much better then kasperksy.
    Kaspersky used to be good but it can't compaire with other strong AV's these days

4. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

my wife uses it & it gives her too numerous problems (system issues) but she works around them, one is it always tells her it stopped working, than it suddenly says its fine, Another is it claims to have a out of date license also not the case but like I said she's not a power user and works around it so it stays...I did try it for about a day on my new 17" i7 laptop with 8gig mem & 750gig HD & it pulled a BSOD & I removed it, its rated well but its just not for me...

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Probably for the best. They are more flashy and annoying than they are useful.

I would guarantee they are not testing against the nightly builds. In any case they are always 2 weeks late or so. I know it is easy for me to claim but I assume they don't need to do much more than increment the version number for compatible versions. Norton seems to be able to get the update out on the day of Firefox's releases.

Actually ESET has dropped Thunderbird extensions. I don't blame them. I think it was really stupid for Mozilla to take on the new release schedule when extensions are what make their products worthwhile and they are now breaking them on a monthly basis. :mad:

6. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

Actually I do the same!!
    I try it once a year, then after 24 Hrs. I uninstall and forget it!! :D :D
    It just never works for me!!!

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Kaspersky is good.

Look into who discovered some of the major malware that was government based..

...and I can tell you, working in a red-teaming capacity, Kaspersky stops more than most. And that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that.

-FTP

8. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Kaspersky, if you look at the response of user over their overall performance on a system, I would almost say a trail and error. But that would also be true for other vendors. Their reputation as malware defender was shown several times in various tests.

9. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well actually no one talks about Mcafee these days....the former great doesn't even have a 2013 beta thread here.

As for kaspersky, i think it usually takes one or two patches to run stably for everyone.

10. antivirus22

antivirus22 Registered Member

Probably 95% of windows computers in the world owned by the "man in the street" have "Pre existing ailments".

Problems with software, settings, windows etc which may not show up until something like a "different" anti virus prgram is installed.

If all remnants of previous anti virus proggies are not 100% removed prior to changing to a differnt anti virus, the "ailments" are most likely to surface.

Then the new anti virus gets blamed as causing problems.

Kasperky will not be happy with remnants of other anti virus and / or some other security products.

Kaspersky has been around since maybe 1996 or 1997 [maybe earlier] [dos gui days]

I think i first tried it when it was version 1.07 or so.

11. woomera

woomera Registered Member

me=satisfied kaspersky user

12. gery

gery Registered Member

no body talks about McAfee neither .....bullguard, and others .....top ranked frequented talked passionately loved is appguard shadaow diffender sandoxed how to become a computer freak with all the funky sets and tricks.
    Personally love to have a simple way of protecting my computers with AV or IS no matter what

13. 1 2 3

1 2 3 Registered Member

same here, win xp, 500 mb ram with kaspersky
    i find the same problem you mentioned, also the computer has become very slow in general
    i am thinking about replacing kaspersky, but i haven't decided with what, maybe avira free or avast free, i hear these 2 are quite light, at-least lighter than kaspersky

14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I had the exact same problem with Kasperski, then I saw this offer
    http://store.downloadcrew.com/index.php
    Very satisfy so far and my PC is much more responsive.

15. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

And what have you bought instead of Kaspersky?

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Webroot

17. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

18. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

Did You see the system requirements for KAV/KIS2012?

http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2012?level=3

We are in century 21, I'm sorry but You still wants to work with a computer with 512MB of RAM o_O ?

Regards.

19. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Having been around for a while I can offer several possible reasons:

1) There is a CoC here NOT to produce threads/posts that lead to "my AV is better than your AV" a wise policy.

2) This forum is the official support forum for Eset.

Personally I use the AV comparitives reports that come out as a guide and don't pay much heed to individual tesimonies.

20. muf

muf Registered Member

Kaspersky has been around for years. Their AV has always performed at the top level in many tests. It may not work well on every pc, due to the limitless configurations available. This is the reason you test, trial and see how it performs on you particular pc. This is also the reason many people use different AV's. They use what works well. Kaspersky(Pure) works well on my laptop, but not too well on my desktop. If it runs well on you system, without compatibility issues, then you will be well protected. If it doesn't work well then you will have to look elsewhere. To suggest Kaspersky is anything but a top AV is just plain stupid.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If anyone disagrees with the rules of posting on the forum, contact an administrator.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/tos.php

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I think it's fair to say, most Wilders members agree that Kaspersky is at or near the top of the AV foodchain. Sometimes it presents problems for some users on some systems, but name an app that doesn't do that. I think people here talk about it, but maybe because it is so well known, there isn't a lot of "discovery" taking place. I have never had a second thought about Kaspersky's integrity. :thumb:

23. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I do not have 100 Million PCs to test Kaspersky on and all my opinions are based off my own personal experiences so while I will humbly offer them up for you to think on please remember to take everything I have to say with a grain of salt.

Current AVs in use: Eset Smart Security, KIS 2013
    Previous AVs: Avira, Avast, AVG, Panda Cloud, Bitdefender.

Kaspersky PC Setups:
    PC 1:
    Processor: E5700 Intel @ 3.0GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333
    Storage: ~320GB on 2HDD (1 is 70GB the other 250GB)

PC 2 (Mine):
    Processor: Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz (I also have a 3.4Ghz profile I never use)
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333
    Storage: 2TB on 2HDD (Currently 2 1TB HDDs (I've had HDD failure issues so my setup has changed quite a bit in this respect))

PC 3:
    Processor: Core i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz
    Ram: 8GB DDR3 1066
    Storage: 500GB on 1HDD

Speed:
    PC 1:
    Fine during general use, boot up is slower with Kaspersky by ~20 seconds though that's not a hard measurement it definitely leaves you a little bit of singing in your head. There is a very long delay when launching a program for the first time ~60 seconds though this is undoubtedly due to the very high heuristics settings in KIS and the not so great processor power of the PC.

PC 2:
    Great all the time no problems, works great for me but my PC boots very slowly (I very very VERY rarely reboot anyways).

PC 3:
    This is the newest one purchased approx. a month ago, it's super fast and I haven't heard any complaint from the person using it (Boot up seems much better than mine as well)

Reliability:
    I've heard no complaints from PCs 1 & 3

PC 2:
    I had an issue with Kaspersky's firewall rules not maining rule order which comes and goes. Support is basically non-existent tech support never answered.

Protection:
    Never done any tests or anything though I've found no infections on any of the 3 PCs.

Summary:
    While the PCs running Kaspersky aren't too old they perform rather well and protection seems to be adequate.

The firefox browser plugins IMHO are not only useless but annoying, I cant decide what I dislike more the giant virtual keyboard I don't use, or the Green K's all over a webpage. I disable both even when they DO work with FF, I also want to point out that Web protection is unaffected by these plugins and Firefox is the only offender as Google Chrome doesn't require updates of plugins every version like Firefox does.

As far as storage space I really laugh at people who think 500MB is a lot, even SSD's are hitting the higher ranges (Albeit slowly) and prices are becoming more reasonable all the time. I've got 2TB of space and both hard drives costed me less than $.09/GB none of the 3 PCs listed above (The other two NEVER do their own maintenance so temporary files and downloaded install packages reach into the 10s of GBs) have hit their storage limit. Moral of the story 500MB equates to approx. $0.50 in storage space on a standard HDD most people can easily shell out 2 quarters, the real problem is the lack of an offline installer that is up-to-date as this means people on limited bandwidth have to download all of it or move the updates from a PC that has already downloaded them (This is possible in the KIS options). As for the slow scans I believe this may be processor based issues or a bug as users report this though I never experience it myself. I have approx 1TB in use and can complete a full scan (With maximum heuristics, Rootkit, etc., iChecker and iSwift disabled) in about 6 hours. Critical scans take about 30 minutes.

I personally love Kaspersky (Technical support suuuuuuuuucks) and will keep using it as long as it performs admirably and gives me the options I need to ensure my PCs Security. As far as security goes you should always try out a variety of software (I recommend using clean installs of windows) and see what works best for you.

24. woomera

woomera Registered Member

My thought exactly but i didnt say it cause i thought it might be rude ... :)
    but seriously 500MB RAM and running X cannot handle a signature base AV.

25. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.