How come noone talks about Kaspersky here?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Isn't it like one of the best Antivirus/Security Suites? I never saw anyone mentioning it other than the KIS 2013 Beta thread...

What gives?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You'll notice that most users pick some form of free software. Kaspersky isn't one of them. I know ppl use it as well here but you just won't hear as much buzz around Kaspersky as you would around avast!, AVG, AVIRA or MSE...

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not much to talk about. Talking about your love/hate of it turns into a flamefest. I expect the people that like it have little trouble with it and those that don't just don't use it.I have used it on and off since v6 (currently do not have it installed, that may change when 2013 final is released) but I really don't have any questions about it. I do try to answer what I can when others ask, which is infrequently as you have noted. Actual technical issues could not be solved here and would best be sent to their technical support. I expect to see some discussion of it here when the final is released.

4. berryracer

I see... that makes sense now....

Usually I install KIS and forget it....it just works

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I have Kaspersky Workstation on my office comp. Win-XP, 500 mb RAM. When it is updating I can't use the comp for a couple of minutes.

6. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

It's a consistently top performing AV. It's been around for a long time always performs well in the test done by AV Comparatives and AV Test.org. There is another top performing AV that you don't hear too many member here mention, F-Secure.

7. Solarlynx

Why no any really decent free version of Kaspersky? I would like to have such a prog.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

from my view - Kaspersky has serious issues with support of their extensions - in detail those for firefox. in the last years all concerning updates came 1 or 2 weeks too late. but they dont have any issue to take money from their customers and leave them alone with a vulnerable firefox version.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

We don't talk about it, because it's become a Taboo just lately, I have a 2yr licence which I cant use cause Kaspersky crashes on every system start or reboot!

10. xxJackxx

I must agree with that, I think they skipped Firefox 9 altogether if I remember correctly. They aren't really leaving you vulnerable though, it is just a link scanner and a virtual keyboard. I have never used the virtual keyboard so that may be a legitimate gripe for someone that does. However if you have a keylgger it has already failed you. The link scanner... I find them pretty useless from any vendor. You can call a site bad, but you can't really call any site safe. It may have been compromised since the last definition update.

As for the complaints of no free version, I work in the software industry and can tell you programming staff and IT workers by no means work for free. Any for profit business has the right to charge whatever they can get you to pay for something. I have licenses for multiple paid AV products, and feel they are worth the money over the free products out there. Discounts for all of the major vendors can be found on sites like Amazon and such on a regular basis. Actually my last 2 KIS licenses were free after rebate and $20. These were 3 user licenses.

11. berryracer

Ditto!

When a new Firefox is out, by the time Kaspersky releases an update to make the extensions work, another Firefox is already out. They have lousy support when it comes to extensions.

That said, I once was browsing with those Firefox addons disabled due to incompatibility, and KIS still prevented me from visiting a malicous site. So that browser addon is just a visual eye candy to highlight the safe sites in green and the virtual keyboard which I never use since I use LastPass

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Any idea if the same is true with Kaspersky and Chrome updates?
    Chrome releases updates quite frequently.
    If there were issues and Kaspersky took a long time to address them, that would be bad.

13. xxJackxx

For the very short time I used Chrome it did not seem to have the same problem. The extensions for Chrome did not stop working after an update. Same with Norton.

14. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

Hell NO !!!!

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That's good to hear, xxJackxx. But was the very short time you used Chrome long enough for it to update? In looking back on update frequency, the last 5 Chrome updates have come about 2 weeks apart.

16. Solarlynx

Sure, but there exist decent free versions of almost all venerable avs, with the exclusion of almost only Kaspersky, and their workers does not suffer from it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Actually, their AV componet is free with ZoneAlarm's free FW and AV package.

Ice

18. berryracer

Hell no?

Thanks for the detailed insight expert :rolleyes:

19. xxJackxx

I had it through about 3 versions, never had a problem.

20. xxJackxx

Where is the free Norton, ESET, McAfee, F-Secure...? I also doubt the decision to release a free product is up to any one individual at any of those companies. There is management, marketing, investors, and so on.

21. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Right now I'm running Kaspersky Pure 2.0 on an XP desktop & a Vista Laptop. I have no issues on either computer. Everything works as it should. It is a very good suite imho.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I like kaspersky as a company but there are a few reasons i no longer use it.

1. they removed custom install.

2. bloat: desktop gadget and browser toolbars. these two as well as other features are not needed and are waste of development time which could be used to improved other areas such as lower cpu usage,lower ram and less disc space used.

3. uses over 500mb of disc space without logs. if other products can protect well while using less than half this then why cant kaspersky?
    4. slow scans
    5. can be heavy on cpu and ram
    If kaspersky worked on these issues then it would be a good product.

the product does protect well.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Used their suites for several years, installed on difficult users (getting infected often) and no problem at all. Overall good performance and bullet proof protection... no need anymore of painful sessions for malware removals.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I was hesitant to try Kaspersky after the CHKDSK fiasco years ago. Also since then it has gained weight. I can list 10+ AV programs I find more appealing.

25. xxJackxx

1. That gets a lot of complaints. It does not bother me, I do full installs anyway.
    2. You can disable all of those things.
    3. Yes, that is a ridiculous amount of space.
    4. True, especially on a first run. I believe it is more thorough than most though.
    5. True, depends on system. I have not had that issue with 2012, but others have. When I have problems like that on a particular machine, I find another product that runs well on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.