How come Avant gets no respect?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cruise, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

It seems that the Avant Browser (like Rodney Dangerfield) gets no respect (around here) and I'm wondering why? IE8 on my XP box (1GB RAM) is an Albatross so I'm looking to replace it and came across Avant. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cruise

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

All I know is that it is the other Chinese browser. I tried it once a while back before it used WebKit. I honestly can't remember why I never persevered with it, there must have been a reason.

3. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

I tried the IE shell version of Avant - can't cut/copy and paste, with the mouse or keyboard. Pretty good browser but that was a deal breaker. Anyone know a work around?

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I like Avant a lot. I don't use it currently but has in the past as well as Orca Browser which was another browser released by the same developers.

What I really like about Avant, Maxthon (which I also once used) and Sleipnir which is my current browser of choice is that firstly they are a lot more configurable than IE, Chrome and Firefox are. With other browsers you need 3rd party addons to get the same amount of functionality you get as standard with Avant, Maxthon or Sleipnir. For example a few weeks back I accidentally clicked on the close button on Chrome. I had lots of tabs open, but was not prompted as to whether I wanted to close Chrome or not. When I looked at the setting for Chrome it turned out that the only way to get a prompt is via an addon.

Also, with Avant and others, they offer an online account which saves your configuration and bookmarks. This allows you to install Avant on another computer, and then when you login to your Avant account your configuration is restored and your bookmarks.

However, unfortunately some time back, when I installed a new version of Avant it was not able to restore my configuration, and this lead me to ditch Avant. I had configured several search shortcuts (e.g. entering s followed by a song name in the address bar would search for the song on songfacts.com), and these were lost.

5. FreddyFreeloader

When I opened the cloud feature of Maxthon, I lost all my settings, speed dial config, bookmarks - all were gone.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used Avant for a while and liked it, but eventually I switched to Maxthon which is similar and for me has a better feature set. I would try them both.

7. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I've been using Maxthon now for the past 4-6 months and absolutely love it. In an earlier version of Maxthon, I had a couple issues with the cloud feature, but that was quite a while ago. Recent updates have been solid for me.

I'm not clear exactly what happened in your case, but I would encourage you to use their forums/community. There are very many knowledgeable people over there and they are quite helpful.

8. FreddyFreeloader

I set up Maxthon off their cloud, then three months later I decided to set up an account to see what their cloud was all about - after logging into it, all my setup was erased.
    Another problem with Maxthon is to update the flash player, you have to delete a file in the program and add another file to install the current player. Why they can't build a self-updating flash player must be beyond their technical expertise.

9. roger_m

I've never had that problem.

Flash player is from Adobe, it's got nothing to do with Avant's developers.

10. FreddyFreeloader

Maxthon builds the flash player into their browser - like Google Chrome, except Google's updates itself.
    Check for yourself: https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

11. roger_m

I was not aware of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.