How can you hide folders/file in TrueCrypt?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by voltron, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voltron

voltron Registered Member

Hi;

How can you hide folders/file in TrueCrypt?

I read in some other forum that TrueCrypt can hide folders just like any other hide folder software. Can anyone tell me the procedure on how to hide folders and files using TrueCrypt?

Is it possible or advisable to have two encryption utility in a pc? I have Ashampoo Magical Security at the moment but it won't hide folders and files. It only encrypts data/folders.

I'd appreciate the help guys, thanks!

voltron:)

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I get the idea that hiding a folder in TC takes a bit of going via the cape,
    this is their beginner's guide,

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

I use another little Freeware App. 'My Lockbox', but it might not be strong enough for what
    you are looking for,

http://www.fspro.net/my-lockbox/

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Dismount the TrueCrypt volume

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

TrueCrypt (and others like it such as FreeOTFE) are container type encryption programs. You run the program and create encrypted containers that can hold whatever you wish up to the size limit of the container you created.

When you're not running TC, the container looks like a big file on your disk. Anything inside is not visible. When you are running TC, you "mount" the container as a virtual drive and then you can view, run, copy, paste, whatever anything to and from the container the same as a normal drive.

It's worth noting that the files/foders inside the container are always encrypted. They are made available outside of the container 'on-the-fly'.

TC and other container encryption programs like it are better at hiding folders than other so called apps because the files/folders are truly not visible. Most folder hiding programs have 'issues' and don't hide the folders under all possibilities. Container encryption apps do.

AFAIK, you can have lots of encryption apps on the same PC. I have 3 or 4 on mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.