how can Sandboxie be used for testing programs?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by _ab, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi,

i´m using a sandboxed version of Firefox, so everything installed in that Firefox is a sandboxed install. But can´t sandboxie be used in the same way as Altiris SVS, installing some external program like some different browser for testing purposes?

When i tried that, it somehow didn´t work. I tried to run the application installer sandboxed from some admin environment, but there was only a message "could not start sandboxie control program". What´s wrong?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You might have some limited success, but sandboxie isn't really designed for that. It's meant to keep something your browser might download from doing damage. You won't be able to easily install a driver or start a service.

Pete

3. _ab

_ab Registered Member

ah, ok. Then Altiris SVS will be the right program. Thank you!

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Believe it or not, at the moment I´m using SBIE as a software testing tool, and over 90% of the time apps will work correctly. I have also checked out Altiris SVS but it was way too complex. And I also wonder how secure SVS is, what if you try to sandbox a malicious app, will it protect your system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.