How can it make paralell Backups over a week?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by knallmuffe, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knallmuffe

knallmuffe Registered Member

Hello

I use newest version of True Image Home and want to know how or if i can make that it creates automatically 7 'different' backups in a week? i mean for example

"backup_1.tib" on monday
    "backup_2.tib" on tuesday
    "backup_7.tib" on sunday

and then, on next monday, it should begin from new with overwriting "backup_1.tib". and this in a infinite loop.

I hope you can help, i didn't found it in ATI by myself and sorry for my bad englisch

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

If you have the backup space and you want a full image every night, you could set up 7 tasks - each a differently named full image (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc) to run once each day of the week.

If you are looking for a daily backup, I'd suggest a full disk image run every two weeks on alternating weeks (two tasks each run every two weeks on alternate weeks - call the image files something like 'week1' and 'week2'). Then set up incrementals nightly (week 1) and then repeat it set up the same way the following week (week 2). You will use 4 tasks to accomplish this - two full (full week1 and full week2) and two incrementals (increm week1 and increm week2). This gives the added advantage of two full backup images at any one time in case of corruption. If you need a longer time frame than that, set up a third task for a full image on the first of the month repeating monthly.

Setting the tasks will require to set up week 1 and run the full task, wait a week and then setup week 2 and run the full task. There isn't a way yet to have a delayed start of the tasks in Home.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello knallmuffe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that in order to accomplish the task you described I could offer you to organize the scheduled scheme for example the following way:

Taks #1: Create full backup archive with weekly execution on Monday;

Taks #2: Create incremental backup based on this full backup archive with weekly execution on Tuesday through Friday (check screenshot).

You can create another scheduled scheme that will suit your needs or use one of the schemes described by Mem. Acronis True Image Scheduler Task Wizard allows you to create flexible scheme for scheduling.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Based on how I read your question, I would go with Mem’s first suggestion. Create 7 tasks (each with a unique backup image name), one to run each day of the week. They will overwrite themselves as the next week arrives.
    While Aleksandr’s plan is valid, be aware the when Monday’s task runs the second time all the incrementals become orphaned are can no longer be used to restore until they are recreated on subsequent days. That is to say, once the Monday FULL is overwritten, that will be the only day to which you can restore until the INCs get rerun.

5. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Yeah, true, but...

A Monday Full backup that overwrites a full backup is really also the record of change since the previous week's string of Full + incremental backups. Still have 8 days of backups to chose from. For clarity in restoring, a batch command can be added to Monday's script to delete the "orphaned" incrementals.

6. TheWeaz

“Still have 8 days of backups to chose from”

Absolutely false.
    Once you overwrite the Monday backup, Monday is the only day you can restore from. The INCs are totally useless.

7. TheWeaz

“For clarity in restoring, a batch command can be added to Monday's script to delete the "orphaned" incrementals.”

Really no need to delete them other than clarity. They, just like the FULL, will be overwritten.

8. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Yes, you are on point here, based on the OP. I had understood there to be TWO alternate weekly cycles, which would give the 8 days, and not a bad idea if overwriting the full backup.

9. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Exactly, "other than clarity." They are overwritten one day at a time, producing a mix of valid and invalid incrementals. For mere mortals, dealing with the TI "Restore" interface which for a series provides the date-time stamp only of the last incremental until the restore wizard progresses, I would still suggest that it avoids a possible source of confusion to delete the orphaned and useless incrementals on Monday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.