How can I tell if my gmail account been spoofed or hacked?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by paulsiu, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulsiu

paulsiu Registered Member

Recently, I have been getting a lot of facebook email. They are to various people that their facebook password has been changed. In addition, I have been getting email about not being able to email to the facebook address.

I don't have a facebook account and use my gmail only for personal emails.

I clicked on last account activity and notice that I had browser access from 12.228.75.63 on Oct 22. I did a reverse IP and it indicated a Beijing server.

Can I assume that my account has been hacked? If I was spoofed, I wouldn't be have that entry in my last account activity?

How in the world did they managed to hack in? I access my gmail infrequently. I have WPA on my wireless and don't access my account on public wireless. The password is not even a word but a weird sequence of letters and numbers.

Paul

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

My suggestion, change your gmail and other passwords from another machine.

Have your machine checked for malware. If Google shows access from another IP address that's a bad sign.

From what little I know it's not usually about 'hacking'. It's either old fashioned social engineering, ie. ask for the logins, or some form of malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.